Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Certified Occupations Amendments

ariedl

When my grandfather turned 18 years old on 11 October 1917, he was working as a painter in the Caledon Shipyard in Dundee. I'm assuming he had an exemption at some point, but it eventually ran out, as he ultimately enlisted 3 July 1918. According to the Certified Occupations list in the Military Service Act of 1916, all classes of workmen in shipbuiding were reserved without any age limits. I pored over the list of certified occupations and several of the subsequent changes made over time (though I'm sure I missed some), in search of the specific change that revoked his exemption, without any luck.

Could someone else please point to the change that likely ended my grandfather's exemption? Or is it possible that he never had an exemption, he just wasn't called up until 9 months after his 18th birthday?

Thanks for any information!

• Admin

Under the terms of the Act he was deemed to have enlisted at eighteen, but as you say was not mobilized until later. He was conscripted and it's important to place that in the historical context of the desperate need for men following the German Spring Offensive, and to prepare for the Allied counter-offensive.

Although there was a general exemption for shipbuilding, which was regarded as 'munitions', the class of employment 'Painting - generally' was regarded as a 'process' where women could be successfully substituted for men. As a young single man it's unlikely the Tribunal would give any further exemption or that the Trade Union who were also involved would intervene or object.

We can't know for certain but it does seem the most likely solution, of course he could simply have felt the general pressure there was on single men of military age and gave up any exemption. I don't think there was a change in the exemption class other than the substitution of women, though happy to be corrected.

Ken

Ken--

Thanks for your response! I thought I had responded to it yesterday (I know I typed up a response), but don't see it today. Ah, the wonders of modern technology!

I'm pretty sure that the gist of my response was to thank you and ask if it was possible that my grandfather may have had a temporary exemption just until new women were trained up in the duties of a shipyard painter? They did much more than I realized, which I only found out after contacting the Scottish Maritime Museum. I was surprised that a single, 18 year old male who had been on the job a year or less would get an exemption, but the idea of it being to train his replacement made some sense to me, though nine months of training seems like a lot! Or is it more likely that he just didn't get the call up until July? Simply a matter of chance?

I also was surprised at how quickly he was demobbed; according to his papers, it was mid-February 1919, so he barely served for seven months. Was this unusual? Or was everything fluid after the war ended? He returned to his job at the Shipyard, where he worked until 1922, when he left for America.

Thanks again!

You need to be very careful about exemptions from military service, the lists changed continuously. The Ministry of Munitions files are worth exploring in this respect.

TR

The Protected Occupations List published 1st February 1918 (TNA MH47/142/3) looks like it provides the answer. The following is an extract from the introduction:

"On account of the need of the Armies in the Field for further recruits, it has been found necessary to revise the Schedule of Protected Occupations (MM130), which came into operation on 7th May, 1917, and to issue the present schedule under the title of MM130 (Revised). The main effect of the present revision is to render available for recruitment all men medically classified fit for general service (Grade 1), who had not attained the age of 23 by 1st January, 1917, whatever their occupation or the work upon which they are engaged, with the exception of certain classes of men engaged on hull construction and repair".

Looking at the list itself, Section A covers "Shipbuilding and Repairing" and the minimum age for a painter is shown as 23.

So, Ken was right in surmising that the Army's increasing need for men was a probable cause, it's just that the change came earlier than the Spring Offensive.

Some further thoughts:

1. Why did he take a further five months to enlist (post 1/2/1918)? Perhaps he and/or his employers applied to a tribunal for exemption.

2. Did he manage to gain exemption but then volunteered (as Ken suggests)?

3. This assumes he was Grade 1.

4. Have you checked the local newspaper for reports of tribunal hearings in early 1918? (I see there's a good selection of Dundee papers online on the British Newspaper Archive site for 1918)

5. As Terry points out, the devil is in the detail here and I may be missing something.

Jon

The Protected Occupations List published 1st February 1918 (TNA MH47/142/3) looks like it provides the answer. The following is an extract from the introduction:

"On account of the need of the Armies in the Field for further recruits, it has been found necessary to revise the Schedule of Protected Occupations (MM130), which came into operation on 7th May, 1917, and to issue the present schedule under the title of MM130 (Revised). The main effect of the present revision is to render available for recruitment all men medically classified fit for general service (Grade 1), who had not attained the age of 23 by 1st January, 1917, whatever their occupation or the work upon which they are engaged, with the exception of certain classes of men engaged on hull construction and repair".

Looking at the list itself, Section A covers "Shipbuilding and Repairing" and the minimum age for a painter is shown as 23.

Jon--

Thanks for this information! I was able to download the Occupations Lists for 1916 and 1917 from the NA, but I did not see the 1918 amendments. That really helps!

I have gone through the Dundee newspapers for most of 1917 and 1918 in search of a report from one of the tribunals related to my grandfather, or even to see if I can see a time where other shipyard workers had their exemptions terminated. No luck so far, but I haven't figured out the schedule on which the tribunals met. It either wasn't regular basis, or the site I'm searching on isn't finding all of the articles. For example there might be a meeting on the 3rd of a month, then not till the 20th, and another on the 28th. It also doesn't help that the paper that seems to have reported on the meetings most frequently only came out weekly! So I may have missed an article that would be informative. I'm still looking, though!

Thanks again!

You need to be very careful about exemptions from military service, the lists changed continuously. The Ministry of Munitions files are worth exploring in this respect.

TR

Terry--

Too true! Even when you look at the correct lists/amendments, it's easy to be overwhelmed by all of the different occupations. I looked at multiple lists for some time and never saw one that applied specifically to shipyard painters. Jon found it without any problem, though!

Thanks for the reminder.