Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Regiment - Lieutenant Martin J Higgins

Noor

Hi all,

Does any of you have any extra information about Royal Irish Regiment Lieutenant Martin Joseph HIGGINS. I know so far that he was from Waterford, where he worked as a Rate Collector (Irish Census). He was confirmed to the rank 2nd Ltn. 02.08.1916. Lieutenant 01 July 1917. Reserve of Officers 13.08.1920. MIC shows that some moment he was transferred into the Machine Gun Corps and then back again to the Royal Irish Regiment.

Medal Index Card shows that he was entitled only British War medal and Victory medal - served in France from July 1916. Address given: 5 Catherine Street, Waterford, Ireland (applied medals 12.08.1921).

Any extra information about this officer would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Noor

Hi archangle9 - thank you very much for that! I may find a researcher who can pull this file out for me at the Kew! Thanks again!

I usually go to Kew in October, so if you haven't got it by then drop me a PM and I'll copy the file for you.

John

He was attached to the Machine Gun Corps on 27.5.1918

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30779/supplement/7878

It is not possible to tell when he was restored to the establishment of the Royal Irish Regt. from the M.G.C. using the available search facility of the London Gazette. It does not come up with a sensible number of results on any word search criteria and the index is not available.

He relinquished his commission on 1.4.1920

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32018/supplement/8462