Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reumont Cemetery (near Le Cateau)

Anthony Pigott

Reumont cemetary is just a typical village cemetary but with a few war graves. It's just down the road from Le Cateau.

Anthony

post-19-1099953761.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anthony, Are there people buried at this location? I suppose that is a stupid question, but the stones are so close and the way there are staggered it would seem they are on top of one another. And what about the two against the back wall, why would they be separated?

This picture interests and confuses me!! ;)

Andy

Anthony, Are there people buried at this location?  I suppose that is a stupid question, but the stones are so close and the way there are staggered it would seem they are on top of one another.  And what about the two against the back wall, why would they be separated?

This picture interests and confuses me!! ;)

Andy

Andy

I don't know why they're like that. I'm sure someone more knowledgable about these things could answer. I guess they may well be re-burials. There are a few 1918 graves in the little churchyard too - Le Cateau was, of course, in German hands for over four years.

Regards

Anthony

This is a very typical 1914 cemetery; British military burials in a civilian communal cemetery. They were likely buried either by the locals, or the Germans, once the battle was over. There are bodies here; but it is a 'collective' grave I suspect, with the men are buried together rather than in individual plots.