Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11 may 1918 224 Sqn loss?

James A Pratt III

In the TSTB 1 there is mention of a DH 4 of 224 Squadron being shot down during a raid on Kumbor in the Adriatic. The Austrians have seaplanes A76 Lschlt D Konjovic, A80 Frglt N Nardelli and K178 crewed by frglt W Haber and LtidResdMK E Erstsey take off and either the A76 or A80 downed a DH 4 whose crew was taken prisoner by the Tb 86b. Does anyone have any information on the crew. The Austrian information comes from the books Der KUK Seeflieger and Seaplanes of the Bocche which part was online but I can't seem to find it again.

From TSTB II Page 268.

**B shipping at Kumbor in Cattaro Bay shot down MIA [Lt HCE Bocket-Pugh POW/see below] either Capt CB Baker or SLt RG Blandy involved?. Both Adriatic POW but not conclusiveness traced. Pilot repatriated on 29 November 1918.

The first of twelve raids on the enemy naval base at Cattaro was made on 11 May. An ambitious target for land aircraft it involved a 400 mile round trip over sea. The strategic purpose of these raids was to reduce attacks on allied shipping. here six DH4 bombed ships and submarines but one crew was lost and taken prisoner, of whom the observer remains inconclusive.

Regards

Peter

Thanks it looks like someone needs do some research on 224 squadron vs the Austrians in the Adriatic. It looks like the book Seaplanes of the Bocche gives a fairly good account of the Austrian side. The sample pages do mention the damage done in some air raids, air ops ect.

Lt. Henry Charles Edward Bockett-Pugh had bad luck with respect to shootdowns. After being a POW of the Austrians, he was killed in action

in Mesopotamia, in September 1922 at the age of 23, while serving with the RAF.

Trelawney

Most sources agree that Flying Officer Bockett-Pugh DFC was killed on 22 September 1920 while dropping supplies to a ship in the Euphrates.

Coincidentally, Flying Officer I D R McDonald MC DFC was also killed on this date, his loss being reported in Flight of 23 December 1920 - “It appears that the machine in which he was flying was seen to fall in the river at Samawahon on September 22nd, having apparently been shot down while its occupant was dropping food on the defence vessel Greenfly which has stranded. Flying Officer McDonald was seen to wade ashore and was taken prisoner, and from a subsequent report he is known to have been killed at Dangatora.”

Since both were serving in No 84 Squadron, which was then equipped with the D.H.9A, it is tempting to believe that Bockett-Pugh and McDonald were killed in same incident.

Graeme

Yes, F/O. Bockett-Pugh was KIA 22 September 1920 rather than 1922. According to "RAF Officer Deaths, 1920," both Bockett-Pugh and F/O. Ian Donald Roy McDonald were shot down at Samwah, Mesopotamia, while flying D.H.9A F2838 in an an attempt to drop supplies to the defence vessel "Greenfly" which was stranded in the Euphrates. McDonald was taken prisoner and shot at Dangatora; both officers were 22 years of age.

Trelawney

• 4 years later...

I am nephew of Fl. Lt. Henry Charles Edward Bockett-Pugh, DFC and bar, and am now the owner of his medals. I am trying to trace what my uncle did to deserve these medals. I know that the first was probably earned during the campaign in North Russia in 1919, and the bar was added for service in Somaliland. There seems to be no more detail anywhere on the web.

I have copies of my uncle's letters home in the lead up to his capture in Albania on 11th May 1918.

Also, I have a copy of Blackwood’s Magazine with a report from an observer on the boat to which my uncle and McDonald in 1920 were trying to drop supplies when they were shot down and subsequently killed. Are these of interest?

On 28/03/2015 at 01:11, James A Pratt III said:

Thanks it looks like someone needs do some research on 224 squadron vs the Austrians in the Adriatic. 

James, I should like to take this opportunity to engage - if I may - in a little self-promotion...

That's exactly what I did with my book (!!!) In the Skies of Forgotten Courage, which covers the activities of the RNAS and RAF units in the Adriatic and Albania in 1917-1918. It's available from Amazon.uk and from Aeronaut Books' website. Of course, it also covers No.224 Sqn's action of May 11, 1918.

Best regards.

Andrea

Edited by Ago

And just so Andrea doesn't feel too embarrassed blowing his own  trumpet, In the Skies of Forgotten Courage is an excellent book, I highly recommend it. There is a good photo of Bockett-Pugh, and a thorough write up of the 11th May raid on Cattaro.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2019 at 01:27, Charles Bockett-Pugh said:

I am nephew of Fl. Lt. Henry Charles Edward Bockett-Pugh, DFC and bar, and am now the owner of his medals. I am trying to trace what my uncle did to deserve these medals. I know that the first was probably earned during the campaign in North Russia in 1919, and the bar was added for service in Somaliland. There seems to be no more detail anywhere on the web.

I have copies of my uncle's letters home in the lead up to his capture in Albania on 11th May 1918.

Also, I have a copy of Blackwood’s Magazine with a report from an observer on the boat to which my uncle and McDonald in 1920 were trying to drop supplies when they were shot down and subsequently killed. Are these of interest?

Hi Charles,

Your uncle was with the "RAF Dvina River Seaplanes Flight' which operated in North Russia on the Northern Dvina River during summer 1919. Your uncle is mentioned in my book which has quite a bit on the RAF operations on the Dvina and includes many previously unpublished photographs of the RAF Dvina Seaplanes, you may be able to pick him out of the group photograph on page 226.

His first DFC was for services on the Dvina:

BOCKETT-PUGH, F./Off. Henry Cares Edward, D.F.C., R.A.F.  (London Gazette, 22nd December 1919) “...in recognition of distinguished services rendered during the War and since the close of hostilities.”

Now something very special for you, I have record of his original DFC recommendation,  these were unpublished and very rare to find  and gold to researchers: 'For continuous good work and gallant flying as pilot over the line on Bombing, Spotting and Reconnaissance Flights between June 16th and July 10th [1919]. This Pilot as well as being most capable in handling his seaplane is also a very good officer with powers of command and initiative.'

I have also attached a newspaper article including his biography and demise.

For further reading on his service in North Russia I would recommend obtaining a copy of my book on the campaign linked in my profile signature.

I would be pleased to respond to any questions if you have any. I wonder, for my interest if you might post an image of his hard-earned medals? Some RAF officers in North Russia received Imperial Russian awards which were not gazetted or recorded elsewhere. It would be interesting for me to know what medals constitute his 'group'.

Best Regards,

Bockett Pugh DFC Bar KIA Mespot.jpg

Edited by wrightdw

• 11 months later...

Wow! I was browsing the web and came across your reply to my query. Only a year late, that's quite fast for me. I think i was expecting an email to tell me of any reply.

Anyway, this is most interesting and I have ordered a copy of your book. Thanks so much for the info.  Here's a photo of his medals.UncleCharlesMedals.jpg.e1f81dd5ac73fb13d1d045a8600885ea.jpg