Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is this cemeterie?

Guest jon9

It looks very like Bard Cottage Cemetery, just along the canal bank from Ypres.

I must say, though, that the photograph makes the rows of crosses look as if they are on a slope, and that wouldn't fit in with the Bard Cottage idea.

Maybe some of our Ieperling pals can give us their opinions.

Tom

Tom,

At your service...

Just this : "the crosses on a slope" ? I don't think so. It was the photographer who was standing on a slope (of the canal bank, where now "Lakebos" is)

Ieperling pal Aurel

post-19-1099949117.jpg

Aurel, I guessed that must have been the case, as the cemetery buildings at Bard Cottage are quite unmistakable. (Too scared to commit myself, though!!)

Thanks - Jon9 has his answer now.

Tom

Tom,

And I forgot to say (as it was evident) : in my opinion this is Bard Cottage indeed. The two buildings and the Stone of Remembrance in between hardly leave any doubt.

If I had a slight doubt, however, it is because - even after zooming in - I could not detect the Cross of Sacrifice (which is clearly visible in my photo.) But the resolution of the original B/W photo of course is very low. (Or was the Cross of Sacrifice not added until later ?)

Aurel

Aurel

If you project a line along the base of the nearest building on both pictures and then note the position of the cross on your picture, you will see that a comparative position on the original is actually off frame.

Roop

Roop,

Mmmm I'm not sure I agree.

The Cross of Sacrifice in Bard Cottage Cem. is right on the axis of the cemetery, I mean standing in front of it, it is at the back of the cemetery, right in the middle.

So drawing a line along the base of the nearest building maybe is not the right thing ?

Just don't know... Maybe it is off frame in the original picture...

Or maybe the view is blocked by that small tree in the foreground ?

Aurel

oh thank you very much for you effort in to my question! i have been very interested where this photo was taken! Thank you! I will maybe make trip their next year!

:D

Best Regards

Jon