Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Baby Called Somme

BillyH

So sad. It would be interesting to know the stories behind the naming of the fourteen other babies named "Somme" in England and Wales between 1916 and 1918. (see freebmd.org.uk). For some other research I was carrying out I looked at the numbers of children named Ypres, Loos, etc. If you run the names of other battles through the website you'll see significant numbers for many of them . Each naming will have a story to tell I'm sure.

Ann

Mrs B showed me this earlier. Fascinating - thanks for sharing.

In the 70's I spent 6 amazingly boring months working in Cambridgeshire County Council's Superannuation department (The Horror!), and never ceased to be amazed at the names of some of the people. Boer war births commonly had "Pretoria", "Ladysmith", etc (even a "Modder"!); GW people were - as above - "Somme", "Haig", "Arras"; and then we came to the "Winston", "Montgomery" generation.

On a personal level, shortly before that I worked with a chap who could never understand why his grand-father was called "Bobs", rather than "Bob", and my brother, born in 1941, had a school chum with the initials "RAF".

So sad about Tiny's mother, though. Must have been awful.

Mods - can the (currently two) threads on this be merged?

Mrs B showed me this earlier. Fascinating - thanks for sharing.

In the 70's I spent 6 amazingly boring months working in Cambridgeshire County Council's Superannuation department (The Horror!), and never ceased to be amazed at the names of some of the people. Boer war births commonly had "Pretoria", "Ladysmith", etc (even a "Modder"!); GW people were - as above - "Somme", "Haig", "Arras"; and then we came to the "Winston", "Montgomery" generation.

On a personal level, shortly before that I worked with a chap who could never understand why his grand-father was called "Bobs", rather than "Bob", and my brother, born in 1941, had a school chum with the initials "RAF".

So sad about Tiny's mother, though. Must have been awful.

Ten years or so ago I worked for Plymouth Social Services and one of the clients was a chap born in 1916 with the Christian name 'Verdun' - emphasis on the first syllable.

Ten years or so ago I worked for Plymouth Social Services.

Is that when you had Swilly in your bailiwick?

Is that when you had Swilly in your bailiwick?

Yes indeed. Swilly, now more properly 'North Prospect'. Also, Mount Batten.

My grandmother's half-sister's husband, was born on November 11th 1921

His middle name is Armistice.

(That makes him my half-great aunt's husband. In Wales, that's close family.)

I came across a Ypres, and a Verdun-both men, and several Louvains-all women.

In a completely random choice, Scotlands People records forenames of births between 1914-1922 as : -

Haig 636

Somme 177

Kitchener 74

Verdun 73

Peace 64

Mons 49

Jellicoe 43

Loos 42

Arras 40

Ypres 26

Joffre 24

Aisne 25

Victory 23

Marne 21

Foch 15

Armistice 10

Gallipoli 1

Not a very scientific analysis I know.

Douglas

My favourite among many is "Cal" our one time storekeeper. Always thought he was Carl Jones 'till one day after some years I lightheartedly called him Carlos.

He quickly corrected me saying his name was actually Calais due to his fatherr having sent a postcard to his mother from there soon after he was born.

Very interesting says I. Oh yes says he but lucky for me his next card was from Gallipoli.

Never really knew if that was his joke or not.

Mods - can the (currently two) threads on this be merged?

Ta

-

Not a very scientific analysis I know.

Douglas

Good enough for me

I often walk around my local cemetery, and there's a grave there of someone called Verdun.

The odd thing about it is that he was born in 1936 .... there's obviously a story there, but I don't know what it is.

My father in law was born on 1st July 1929. One of his middle names is Somme after the battle and the date.

Might be a more common occurance than previously thought?

Also Rosary Anne Le Cateau Ketteridge was born at Kildare in December 1914.

Her father Bombardier James Ketteridge (11th Bty, 15th Bde RFA) was killed on 21 August 1914 at le Cateau by the French. He was stationed at Kildare when the war broke out.

Mark

Killed by the French, at Le Cateau before Mons had been fought. What's the story there?

My sons middle name is MONS - for my interest in ww1 and my GFs middle name was also MONS - as that was where family legend said my GGF was when GF was born - he wasnt either !!

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I spotted an Aisne recently; I wonder who his father was.

IMG_4776.jpg

I've found at least three 'Royal Edward' babies whose family suffered loss at the sinking.

Kath.