Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Cottage Cemetery, Ploegsteert

Peter Bennett

I recently photographed all the headstones in the above, if anyone would like any copies please PM me with your e-mail address.

Peter,
I would be very grateful for any of these, please,

Kind regards,

Bob

CLARKE-Corporal-H P-1281-5th Bn.-Lincolnshire Regiment----29/03/1915--Foster-son of Mrs. F. Turner, of 1, The Terrace, Bourne, Lincs---LANCASHIRE COTTAGE CEMETERY-I. F. 19

CABLE-Private-J-8704-2nd Bn.-Essex Regiment----21/10/1914--Husband of Mrs. K. Cable, of 3, Hillside Cottage, Thundersley, Southend-on-Sea---LANCASHIRE COTTAGE CEMETERY-I. B. 1

CANE-Captain-LIONEL ALFRED FRANCIS--1st Bn.-East Lancashire Regiment----07/11/1914-29-Born at Poona, India. Son of the Rev. Alfred Granger Cane and Mrs. Emily Annette Cane, of Great Paxton Vicarage, St. Neots, Hunts. Proceeded to France from Depot, Preston, Oct.,---LANCASHIRE COTTAGE CEMETERY-I. B. 4

COLLINS-Corporal-HENRY RICHARD-8595-2nd Bn.-Devonshire Regiment----04/09/1917-25-Son of Mary Jane Skerry (formerly Collins), of 11, South St., Barnstaple, Devon, and the late Henry Richard Collins-M M, D C M--LANCASHIRE COTTAGE CEMETERY-II. E. 12

A pleasure to be able to send these to you Bob as you have kindly taken and sent many to me over the years.

Peter

Huge thanks to Peter for helping me out with a big request :thumbsup:

Simon.

Huge thanks to Peter for helping me out with a big request :thumbsup:

Simon.

My pleasure Simon

Peter,

Would be very grateful for a copy for:

21/3312 Lcpl Thomas Henry Corner 18Bn DLI. Grave Ref: III.E.4

Many thanks PM sent.

Regards

Peter

Very many thanks to Peter for very kindly forwarding me a photo of the grave of LCpl TH Corner 18 Bn DLI.

regards

Peter

Hello Peter

I noticed that there is one Sherwood Forester - CWT Sheppard 1/7th battalion. I am uploading information/photos onto the Nottingham site - http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/People/Details/9502

At present there is not photo of his grave. Would you allow me to add it to the site or if you prefer, add it yourself?

Best Regards

Steve M

Peter,
Thank you yet again for your kindness and photos of a consistently high standard, I'm most grateful,

Bob

Peter,

I would be very grateful for any of these, please,

Kind regards,

Bob

CLARKE-Corporal-H P-1281-5th Bn.-Lincolnshire Regiment----29/03/1915--Foster-son of Mrs. F. Turner, of 1, The Terrace, Bourne, Lincs---LANCASHIRE COTTAGE CEMETERY-I. F. 19

Hi Bob,

Do you mind if I ask what is your interest in Harry Clarke please,

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

I have a friend who is researching Swineshead and surrounding Lincolnshire villages and I take photos for him. I do not know his specific interest here, but I can put you in touch with him if you so wish,

kind regards,

Bob

My sincere thanks to Peter for the excellent photo of Private Sheppard and allowing me to add it to the Nottinghamshire Roll of Honour website.

Private Sheppard was the first man from the 1/7th battalion Sherwood Foresters (Robin Hoods) to be killed. They arrived near Ploegsteert in early March, after landing at the end of February 1915.

They spent the first day in the trenches being instructed by 1st Hampshire's and on the second day a Hampshire Lance Corporal accidently shot him.

The war diary says that he was buried the next day in the Hampshire Battalion cemetery on south side of road about half way between Ploegsteert and Le Cheer (ref map Ostend 1)

That is the reason he is the only Nott's and Derby man in the cemetery.

SteveM

Hi Bob,

Thanks. I would like to get in touch if possible.

Steve/Bob

Harry Clarke was the first 1/5th Lincoln to be KIA also. He is also the only Lunxoln in the cemetery. His foster parents were from Bourne in the south of the county.

• 1 year later...

Do you happen to have a photo of the headstone for 3385 Private Arthur James Cyril Blackmore, 1st/6th Bt. Gloucestershire Regiment? He was my grandfather's brother and is buried at the Lancashire Cottage Cemetery.

Many thanks Graeme.