Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Labour Corps/ Durham Light Infantry (DLI)

ajt55

Hi all,

After months of searching, finally found my great, great grandfather to complete the set of brothers who served in WW1. Kind of given up hope, but with a medal found on ebay from one of my great, great uncles I'm hoping I'm still getting lucky with this!

If anyone could provide anything at all relating to...

Pte. James Turnbull, No. 20228 34th Labour Corps. And also Durham Light Infantry, No: 64225 it would be greatly appreciated.

My Grandad who is eager to find out who certain he fought. He was told first hand how James Turnbull had arthritus and slept in an Officers coffin for his back. He may have been a 'batman.'

As I said, any help is much appreciated,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

have you checked for service papers on ancestry / fmp ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Coldstreamer,

I couldn't find anything unfortunatley.. It would be good to find out with which Battalion he served in the DLI or where they were at during the War.

Hello,

I have a hunch about your relative. I believe that both those numbers are for the Labour Corps. My Great Grandfather had similar numbers (20733, 654958) According to the book No Labour No Battle The 20,000 number is consistent with Labour Companies that were organized from the Durham Light Infantry in March 1917, and the 65,000 number is consistent with Labour companies formed toward the end of the war.

I have looked at a few service histories of Labour Corps men, and I believe it would be very rare to be transferred out of the LC.

Do you have access to his Medal Index Card (you can get it for free at ancestry, or for a few quid on the National Archives webpage)? I would be curious when he enlisted, and the markings around his service numbers. I would also like to know if he was awarded additional medals(1915 star, or SWB).

Regards,

Simon

Do you have access to his Medal Index Card (you can get it for free at ancestry, or for a few quid on the National Archives webpage)? I would be curious when he enlisted, and the markings around his service numbers. I would also like to know if he was awarded additional medals(1915 star, or SWB).

Records for similar 64XXX numbers suggest they were allocated around March/April 1917 but that was only a quick scan.

Craig