Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Norman Smith, Queens & Royal Fusiliers regiments

SgtPrice

Dear Forum,

I have been asked by a family friend to do some research on her great uncle, John Norman Smith, who served both with the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment), regimental number 242885, and with the 7th Bttn, The Royal Fusiliers (The London Regiment), regimental number: GS/68072. I know he was killed in the battle of Welsh Ridge on 30-12-17. I would be grateful if anybody could tell me when he joined each Bttn if possible, maybe via the regimental number he was given. If anybody could help it would be much appreciated.

regards,

PrivatePrice.

Private Price,

The Medal Rolls for the BVM and BWM show he served in France with the RWS {242885} from 14/09/17 until 24/09/17. He then served in 7RF {GS68072} from 25/09/17 until 30/12/17.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf,

Many thanks for the very swift reply which is much appreciated this end. I have just spoken to the lady about her great uncle and she is now planning a trip to see where he fell so this will add more detail for she before she goes. One final question if you do not mind, do you know which RWS battalion her served with ?

regards,

PrivatePrice

Hi PrivatePrice,

Soldiers Died in The Great War http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=uksoldiersgreatwar&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&gsln=smith&_F8007A65=68072&_F8007A65_x=1&MSAV=1&uidh=rc2&pcat=UK_WWI_COLLECTIONS&fh=0&h=14051&recoff=9+69+70&ml_rpos=1 has him previously with the 2/5th Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment. It says that he was born in Bedworth, Warwick; living in Coventry; and enlisted in Coventry.

Soldiers' Effects, and the Medal Roll has his death on 30-12-17 as assumed/presumed.

A Red Cross record http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3764285/3/2/ has him being reported as missing since the same date, from 'D' Company, 15th Platoon - [7th Bn] Royal Fusiliers. Hopefully that may enable you to locate a more precise location of his probable death.

Regards

Chris