Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glasgow University

Rob Bulloch

Hi to the Forum.

Is there any member with this book in his/hers library I am researching a soldier Lieutenant John Noble 5th Bn Cameron Highlanders att 9th MGC he attended Glasgow University and I am hoping there may be a photograph of him in the Honour Roll Thanks in advance.

Cheers to the Forum. Rob. B

Bob: I have the book, but am at my office at the University at the moment. When I get home this evening I will check out your man. I do have to tell you though that the book has very few photos and generally only a couple of lines on each casualty. Not one of the better Rolls of Honour. Regards. Dick Flory

Hello Dick.

Thanks for the reply, any information on Lieutenant Noble would be great I have very little on him exept the information gathered via CWGC. and as I am in Canada a wee bit far away to do any local research so anything on him would be great, once again thanks.

Yours Aye Rob.

Rob: I have checked the Glasgow University Roll of Honour and I cannot find anyone with the surname of "Noble" in the "Roll of the Fallen." Two men with the name "J. Noble" are listed in the "General Roll of Service":

1. J. Noble MA, BSc. Lce-Cpl., 6th Cameron Highlanders

2. J. Noble, Lieut., Temp. Commission Royal Engineers

Please advise.

Regards. Dick

Thanks for your help on this Dick.

I have put out some feelers in the Dumfries area and I will see what comes out of that, I have his parents address to go on its not much but you know what the say "owt is better than nowt" Thanks again.

Yours Aye Rob.

• 1 year later...
Guest frank crawford
Hi to the Forum.

Is there any member with this book in his/hers library I am researching a soldier Lieutenant John Noble 5th Bn Cameron Highlanders att 9th MGC he attended Glasgow University and I am hoping there may be a photograph of him in the Honour Roll Thanks in advance.

Cheers to the Forum. Rob. B

hi rob

there was a second lieutenant NOBLE at the battle for DEVILLE WOOD 15/16th july 1916 if this helps

you. I fond him in this book DELVILLE WOOD BY NIGEL CAVE. this book has good info on the 5th bn cameron

hope this helps you or am i too late

frank c

Hi,

Not only can you look up the Glasgow University Roll of Honour online, but you can also buy the original book from the Archive Department.

I recentloy bought the Roll for the Second World War (as it isn't online at the moment) expecting to get a modern reprint or a photocopy. Instead I was sent a book that looked and smelled like it had been in storage since it was printed in 1951.

The address for the Roll is:

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/honour/index.php

and the address for their publications (including both Roll of Honour) is:

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/about/publish/pubsales.html

Postage and packaging for the 2nd World War Roll was £2.50. Might be an idea to cotnact them to find out how much it would be for the Great War Roll.