Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map image required - August 1918

CROONAERT

After exhausting my own resources, I wonder if anyone on here can help me with a trenchmap image for the area of the frontline in front (north) of the village of Villers-sur-Coudun , Oise (specifically between Vignemont and Chevincourt)?

I'm mainly looking for an image dating from the period following the Battle of the Matz but just before the Allied push in the area of August 1918 - preferably from the end of July 1918 (I'm researching an event that took place here on 2nd August 1918).

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave.

Just to illustrate with an annotated modern IGN map... this is the area I'm looking for...

Cheers.

Dave.

post-357-0-09246600-1426204784_thumb.jpg

Dave, wish I could help....is it worth trying the French Forum 1914-1918 site? lots of maps from the French-held seem to pop up there.

Peter

Yes I'm only sorry I can't help either Dave ...after all the valuable assistance you've given others over the years....

regards

Tom

edit....later....Taken from this site Dave, only a large general map of the area taken from this publication......

http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/!toc/AC00633982/1/LOG_0003/

http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/image/AC00633982/215/LOG_0062/

Thanks for the replies...

Peter...I'm actually non-too hopeful as regards the Forum Pages 14-18 , but you never know, so I've posted the request there too.

Tom... thanks for trying, but it's an image of an actual trench map that I need (didn't know that that series of books had been digitised! Quite handy... looks like I'll be sticking my original set up for sale some time soon then! :whistle: )

As luck would have it, I'm well covered for trench maps as from a few hundred meters either side of my requested area (and for way over 100 miles+ in each direction from it!), but that stretch of just two or three miles evades me!!!

Cheers.

Dave.

Peter...I'm actually non-too hopeful as regards the Forum Pages 14-18 , but you never know, so I've posted the request there too.

Saw your request on 14-18. Did not expect you to speak French so well :blink:

Hi ,

Dave, I saw your request; as I replied on pages14-18 forum, I tried some infantry Divisions and associated units "JMO" ( W/D) but without success (a shot too far north another too far east :blush: ) .

We have an useful search tool by place name, but I'm afraid they were too hurry in this period to have time to draw some map !

There is some "great map finders" on the forum, let them some time .
An other possibility is to have an access to maps' volumes of "Les armées françaises dans la grande guerre", perhaps digitized soon.... maybe
Best Regards.

Alain

Edited by alain dubois-choulik

Thanks Alain...

I should have had more faith! Already, I have had a reply with some images.

The research I am conducting regards a reconnaissance patrol of the 411e R.I. that didn't quite 'go to plan', and the maps posted actually show the extremity of this patrol so I am quite happy with this. I now need the map to the immediate south of this one that shows the Bois de Sablons and the Bois de Long Champs.

Thanks again,

Dave.

(PS. I have also already thanked you for your efforts on the Pages 14-18 forum)