Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sector D1 Point 77

johnboy

Can anyone help me with a location for Sector D1 Point 77. This reference is from a war diary.

Can you say whereabouts the unit were? If it is the Somme then I'd imagine it is the area just to the east of Bois Francais above Fricourt. Let me know and I can send you a map.

JB

The Btn moved from Dernacourt to the trenches sector D1. 7th September 1915 a mine was exploded at Point 77 or possibly TT.

With your interest in tunnelling, I think the point 77 or TT is where 178 Tunneling Coy. laid a mine. Would you know anything about this?

Thanks for the map.

It was 174TC working at Bois Francais (178TC were to the north at the Tambour). 174TC's diary mentions mine G4 being fired at 10pm on the night of 7 September 1915, noting 'successful results'.

Hope that helps.

JB

I'll have another look for the tunnelling coy, but I am almost sure it was given 178. A coy. of Fusiliers was sent from Dernacourt to assist them. This was around 24/8/1915

• 8 years later...
On 12/03/2015 at 12:11, johnboy said:

I'll have another look for the tunnelling coy, but I am almost sure it was given 178. A coy. of Fusiliers was sent from Dernacourt to assist them. This was around 24/8/1915

IMG_8571.jpeg.469972bd4a55b2e4f4c6c48443d5348f.jpeg

From 54 Inf Bde War Diary, it appears it was 174th TC 👍