Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

issue of service numbers

mancpal

Although I have a long term interest in WW1 I have never considered the allotment of service numbers.

A short time ago I was asked by a pub landlady if I could find anything out about her grandfather's history whist with the Mcrs. She knew I had a few relatives in the Mcrs so I said I'd have a go. Armed only with his name (thankfully unusual) I trudged through my database of the Mcr Pals and found him quite quickly. When I noticed his number, it was only 2 different from my own grandfather's (21202 & 21204). Could it be that they were next door but one in the queue or isn't it as simple as that? They were both in the pals though different battns.

As I have mentioned I know nothing about this subject so would welcome more general information also (websites/links etc).

Thanks

Simon

When I noticed his number, it was only 2 different from my own grandfather's (21202 & 21204). Could it be that they were next door but one in the queue or isn't it as simple as that? They were both in the pals though different battns.

It depends on the battalion - sometimes the numbers would be allocated by a clerk at a central office regardless of where a man had attested (e.g. he got a batch of forms and he just numbered them as and when they arrived), other times the numbers would be allocated in batches to a local office who could number the forms as men attested at that location.

Craig

Craig,

That is a big help. I've just had a quick look at the Salford Pals (Lancs Fus) and it seems their numbers fit the "local" system whilst the Manchester Pals appear to have been "central". That's one less thing to keep me awake at night!

Simon

Craig,

That is a big help. I've just had a quick look at the Salford Pals (Lancs Fus) and it seems their numbers fit the "local" system whilst the Manchester Pals appear to have been "central". That's one less thing to keep me awake at night!

Simon

It took me a while to get used to it. I've compiled a roll of 6th Durham Light Infantry men and they used every form of allocation possible . It would seem they tried a scheme and then another, the another and ....

Craig

I recently tried finding a great uncle and ended up with 3 possibles, 1 Mcrs, 1 R.E. and 1 R.F.C. Turned out to be the same man with 3 numbers! Nobody said it would be simple.

Simon