Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remains of two men found at Verdun

Christina Holstein

Here's a link to a France 3 TV report about bones found during reconstruction work on the site of Fleury Memorial, Verdun.

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/lorraine/2015/03/04/fleury-poursuite-des-recherches-pour-identifier-les-deux-poilus-retrouves-667855.html

The bones- not complete skeletons - were found on 25 February. Work was stopped and the pathologist, Dr Frémont, seen in the green overall in the TV report, was called in. At the moment they are believed to be French because of the pattern of studs on the soles of their boots. Various other objects were also found in the vicinity and it is hoped that they will allow the men to be identified and returned to their families.

No more news at the moment.

Christina

Thanks Christina. I must admit to finding it surprising, given the site of the new building, that far more have not been recovered; or have we not heard about them.

Jim

Yes, Jim, I agree. The ground should be full of them although I suppose it's possible that they were moved when the original building was constructed and the car parks laid out.

Christina

Thanks for the link Christina, one thing I was struck by is the depth and glutinous consistency of the mud, it is not something I ever remember seeing on my trips.

Pete.

You need to walk in the forest, Pete. I got covered in it on the Left Bank.

Christina

It's a quandary for my much anticipated return Christina. Go in summer as previously and be able to see nothing but bracken from some of the most infamous hills in the world, or go in winter and get covered in that pale gelatinous gunk.

Pete.

Last time I was there with a friend we were nearly knee deep in mud for much of the time.

Winter's the time, Pete, and mud washes off. Forget the summer, too many leaves, too much undergrowth, too many mosquitoes. March is the best time because the hunting season is over and nothing has started to grow. Also, the days are getting longer.

Christina