Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info on my Grandfather during WW1

Guest barefoot

My grandfather, charles austin chiverton, was born in porthsmouth, england and served in the RN during the war. I know he was on a ship in the battle of Jutland. I would appreciate any info on the ship he was on during this timeframe and any info on where else he served. I do not know his service number, but his parents were thomas and alice hartley chiverton. he also had a brother named james who died inWW1 while serivng in the british army.

Thank you

chris

Hi Chris,

The battle of Jutland was a huge battle with hundreds of ships on both sides taking part - in order to determine which ship yr grandfather was on you would have to obtain his Service Record from the PRO - it would be in the ADM 188 series. You do not necessarily need his ON - I believe there is an index.

I would think a good researcher that knows his way around the ADM series could find it fairly quickly.

Bryan

Chris

If he served in the Navy after 1929, his later record of service will be held by the Navy personnel department at HMS Centurion, Gosport, Hampshire.

Re. the brother:

Only one J Chiverton on CWGC, so probably this is the chap:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=901125

Details about the RF can be found on the The L.L.T., accessed via the top left of the page.

Richard