Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A trio of 98's

kmad

Hi

Long time since I posted here

I am in the process of moving house and was in the attic and came across a few 98''s that I thought you might like to see,

I apologise but my I pad and photo reduction is not going well

I have a picture attached and will have to attach the subsequent photos as follow ons as

All 3 are shown here

One piece grip from 1900

Two piece grip in all metal replacement scabbard from 1908

And

Finally a saw tooth two piece grip from 1906 in replacement scabbard, interestingly enough this is too large to fit into the ordinary scabbard

Saw and one piece grip are reg. marked R. 5.R36 and R. 11.119 respectively

Hope you like them,

I will follow on with more photos

Regards

Ken

Without sheath

More

More

More

More

More

post-7840-0-93183900-1425583680_thumb.jp

post-7840-0-77392100-1425584656_thumb.jp

post-7840-0-01822100-1425584728_thumb.jp

post-7840-0-09635100-1425584838_thumb.jp

post-7840-0-66477300-1425584867_thumb.jp

Oh, very, very very nice! S.98's are nice but hard to find and the sawback versions are on the rare side, as are the a.Art versions! Looks like the grips may have been replaced on the sawback? Or just wear? Or was it an a.Art that had new grips after the single grip split? Is there a side-screw for the spring plates on that metal scabbard? Looks like a flush-mounted mouthpiece on that also... If so, a rarity!

But, shock, horror - they were in the attic! :o Tut-tut... But you are forgiven... :thumbsup:

Trajan

Hi
Here are some more photos of the grip
The grips are more worn on the saw back version but I do not think it has been replaced as the width of the metal on the back of the grip is consistent with the two with N. Art versions
Where as the a.Art is a lot narrower, hope photos show this
No side screw on the scabbard for the saw back.

As for being in the attic, I know it is a shame but space is the issue, happily we are moving house and there is a huge room laid out for me where I will be able to have all my items out on display, my wife was insistent that I get this room and how I lay it out is completely at my disposal so I am delighted.

thanks for the compliments, I was ever so shocked when the saw back arrived into a local auction which was on line so I got it at a good enough price.

regards

Ken

post-7840-0-41885600-1425629069_thumb.jp

post-7840-0-08762900-1425629380_thumb.jp

post-7840-0-87764200-1425629408_thumb.jp

Hi

Here are some more photos of the grip

The grips are more worn on the saw back version but I do not think it has been replaced as the width of the metal on the back of the grip is consistent with the two with N. Art versions

Where as the a.Art is a lot narrower, hope photos show this

No side screw on the scabbard for the saw back

Thanks! I see what you mean about the grips - and as it is, I have a 98/05 that has a really worn grip on one side only.

The scabbard is a new S.98 type for me: no screws at all?

Trajan

No Problem re the extra photos, I am getting the hang of the I pad and photo reduction software

I will be doing more packing tonight in the attic and I will try and find another trio this time S84/98 plain, sawback and saw back removed, should be a WWII one as well so I might even make it a quartet

As for the S 98 I will measure the tang and get the 2 widths for the sake of completion and knowledge

regards

Ken