Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Britannia Hotel

Will O'Brien

I have just spent a few days at the Outlaws in 'sunny' Manchester. Although I played the dutiful son-in-law for the majority of the time, Mrs O'B & I did manage to sneak out on Saturday night for dinner in Chinatown. Whilst walking past the Britannia Hotel I noticed in the foyer entrance a bronze type bust which appeared to be of a Great War soldier & some script on the opposite wall. Unfortunately I wasn't able to stop & examine it. I did intend to have a closer look on the way back but several things conspired against me (i.e. it was lashing it down, we were rushing for the last tram & we were on the wrong side of the road)................Is any Manchester based pal familiar with this memorial if so can they tell me who it commemorates?

Will

It commemorates the employees of the original owners of the building, S & J Watts Ltd, who died in the Great War.

It almost goes without saying that the building, in its prime location, was at the centre of the city's cotton trade and was used as a "trade warehouse".

The company's entry in the Manchester Battalions Book of Honour lists approx 300 employees who served.

On a recent visit to our fair city, Martin Wills, took a couple of super photos, which I'm sure he will post here once he comes across the thread.

I would have posted them myself, but I have to admit, I accidently binned them off my system during a mega-clearout.

What was the Chinese like?

John

Will

It commemorates the employees of the original owners of the building, S & J Watts Ltd, who died in the Great War.

It almost goes without saying that the building, in its prime location, was at the centre of the city's cotton trade and was used as a "trade warehouse".

The company's entry in the Manchester Battalions Book of Honour lists approx 300 employees who served.

On a recent visit to our fair city, Martin Wills, took a couple of super photos, which I'm sure he will post here once he comes across the thread.

I would have posted them myself, but I have to admit, I accidently binned them off my system during a mega-clearout.

What was the Chinese like?

John

Excellent John...................I had an inkling you would know :D ............Hopefully Martin will see the thread & post his pic's as my view of the memorial was only the briefest of glimpses.............In fact had I 'd been paying attention to my wife, I wouldn't have even seen it at all :lol: ..................The Chinese was first class..............there's a little restaurant me & Mrs O'B always go to when we're in town...............the decor is abysmal, the service is iffy & I've never had the courage to use the toilets there..............but the food is simply the best I have ever had!!

Will

I have no idea of the number of times I'd walked past the hotel without realisng the memorial was there. It was Martin said "Have you seen........."

Which Chinese restaurant was it? Sounds like the little one with ducks and assorted strange bits of meat hanging in the window. Always on the lookout for a good up-to-date recommendation for Chinatown.

John

Thanks for reminding me that I intend to seek out this memorial, since John and, by proxy, Martin referred me to it.

If it's the Chinese John describes, mmmm....

Gwyn

Which Chinese restaurant was it? Sounds like the little one with ducks and assorted strange bits of meat hanging in the window. Always on the lookout for a good up-to-date recommendation for Chinatown.

It's not the one you & Gwyn are thinking of..................I think it's called 'The China City' It has a dodgy looking pink neon sign & it's one of those 'basement' restaurants. The establishment next door is The China Wall or the Great Wall or something similar...................We always seem to get the same waitress when we go in there (baring in mind I've probably mangaged a meal in there once a year for the last six years or so). The poor girl always gets our drinks order wrong & we usually have to ask for the bill two or three times before it appears :P

Ahha. There's definately a couple of those "basement" restaurants - my compliments to you and Mrs O'B on your gastronomic courage.

Do try the one I mentioned - good food and cheap. Not been in for a few yaers years - Mrs H does not have that sort of courage.