Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

calibre792x57.y

Anyone out there who can help me with this identification. The bayonet is a '98 made by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie for the Prussian Army in 1907. The scabbard has buckled and has a coat of black varnish, but otherwise the bayonet shows no sign of wear. There are no unit marks on bayonet or scabbard so it was very likely a war-time issue to a Reserve regiment. The frog is a very light tan leather and has hardened into position. This is also unmarked. Stamped very neatly at an angle across the top of the wooden grip is 'B. DOUGLAS'. Not much to go I know, but I think this was an early capture, so we could be looking for a British regular or territorial soldier in late '14 or early 15. There is probably hordes of matching possibles, but worth a question. - SW

post-47661-0-15072000-1425302662_thumb.j

Oddly enough there is only one B Douglas I can find - 7679 2/Essex (Bertie James) e 12 /10/03 dis 11/4 /17 gassed Ralph.

Does the bayonet have the original Regimental identification stamped on it ?

Well there's a turn up for the books! He certainly fits the bill. I take it he was an old contemptible.? Thank you very much Ralph. -SW

Martin - No, no unit marks. - SW

A very nice piece! Lovely coloured grips! And amazing to find a possible captor and owner!!!

Don't worry about the lack of unit markings - according to the 1909 War Ministry orders, bayonets were not marked if they were held in store, and later orders also stated that after hostilities commenced, bayonets that had not previously been issued need not be unit-marked. I can find the references if you need them.

I think you have Carter vol II, so you will know that 1907 was right at the end of production of these by Weyersburg - apart from that sudden splurge (along with other makers) in 1912...

Trajan

Trajan. - Aye, it was the lack of regimental markings and the colour of the frog that made me think it may be a souvenir of the 1914 campaign. If it is Bertie Douglas, the Second Battn of the Essex Regt landed at Le Havre on the 28th August 1914 and were involved in the fighting on the Marne, the Aisne, Messines and Second Ypres. So it would fit. I'll write it up as 'not proven', but certainly a possible! - SW

Several options re b Douglas on CWGC site.

TT

Thanks T.T. - I found a couple of options myself, but they don't fit in with what we think we know about the bayonet. I'll keep Bertie as a favourite until something else pops up. - SW

A wonderful bayonet and some interesting research. Those grips are almost iridescent with patina! A bayonet with a story is worth 10 without.