Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WO95/5494 Heavy Battery index

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Has anybody photographed the Heavy Battery allocation section of WO95/5494 - anybody who could possibly pass on a copy on cd, that is ? It isn't digitalised and I can't access the hard copy for a while. - I don't need the Siege Battery section, just the heavies.

Not life or death :whistle: but it would / might get an annoying little query out of the way. Would obviously cover costs.

Tom

Hello Tom

I have Siege and Heavy. However although I took a copy of the Siege battery pictures myself I was gifted the Heavies by another member of this parish. I would therefore be reluctant to pass on his photos. If it’s a specific enquiry I would be happy to look up. One of the men (of senior rank) you might want lives on the other side of the world so give the time difference a chance and your wish might come true!

Peter

I have the index in photocopy, but unfortunately not in digital format. Would be happy to do look-ups for you. Dick Flory

• 2 years later...

I would be very grateful for any information (or a steer as to where to find) information (location and action ..but in fact anything) about the 9th Brigade of Artillery, particularly the 71st Heavy Battery, on and before 25th September 1915.   My great uncle Thomas Venus of Pagham West Sussex was wounded (at Hooge ...maybe meaning Bellewaarde?) and subsequently died in the clearing hospital near Lijssthenoek on that day.

My understanding is that the action a Bellewaarde that day was part of a co-ordinated series of attacks to support the Battle of Loos.

There are some interesting notes about the 9th Brigade of Artillery in action in April 1915 in the files I have attached (taken from The Ypres Times http://historischekranten.be/issue/TYT/1925-04-01/edition/null/page/10?query=Light Infantry Regiment&sort=relevance&page=1&rm=images ).

Thank you for any insight.

TYT-19250401-010.jpg.80b3e3da27ec8c91f00ab0e6b23d5ed1.jpg

TYT-19250401-011.jpg.3af29c9f53df833d11f6522d1530d399.jpg

You should be able to download the brigade's War Diary from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50. Here is the reference:

WO 95/466 9 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1915 Apr. - 1918 Dec.  
There does not appear to be a separate diary for 71 Heavy Battery.

Ron

Thank you Ron.   I have tracked the 71st Heavy Brigade's war diary down (WO-95-466-1.pdf) ...it is recorded as part of the 9th Brigae of Heavy Artillery (HAG).   My next step is WO 153/1276 (Artillery at Ypres, position of batteries & HQ) however I think this requires a trip to Kew.

Stewart 

Following up on my last post, my understanding of WO 153/1276 from a visit to the National Archives yesterday.   This file contains maps and hand sketched panoramic views used in the planning (and execution I assume) of artillery attacks at Ypres in 1917 & 1918.   From the perspective of my desire to discover more about 9 Brigade and the 71st Heavy Battery's position and activity on 25th September 1915 (death of my great uncle Thomas Venus), it wasn't a very productive outing - but the act of laying those maps out gave me a very strong sense of connection.   Alongside the very clear sense of the purpose of the maps and drawings, there was evidence of great skill and artistry.   Here is one example.

I was unable to find a reference to similar material on 1915 and would be grateful if anybody can point me to it, if it exists.

IMG_2765.jpg.ef7900dd300435418e53973a4e333078.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg.d39bd7d8d4daa2e9d021aefa6873f124.jpg

There are various Western Front panoramas in the same class, WO153, files 1268 to 1275.

Ron