Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

INFANTRY MACHINE-GUN COMPANY TRAINING, 1917

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Do any members have a copy of this book and is it a good read? I am thinking of getting a copy, but cannot find any reviews. I am particularly interested in what coverage of the Vickers MG it gives. Does it go into detail about laying the gun for indirect fire, or show how the guns would be deployed in fortifications etc? Also, is the book fairly well illustrated?

If this is not too detailed, what other in print books would members recommend relating to the use of the Vickers MG during the great war?

Thanks for your time and thoughts

gnr.ktrha,

Well, I was going to suggest getting The Grand Old Lady of No Man's Land by Dolf Goldsimth as that really is, in my opinion, the best book on the subject. I thought I would check first on Amazon to make sure it is still available and I am shocked by the price so will have to re-think!

Regards,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

I have a copy of that on loan from a friend. It is a great book, but I was hoping to find a publication which was specifically about the Great War and gave good clear details about how the Vickers was used during the war. I was hoping that the 1917 book would fit the bill.

Thanks for your post,

Stewart

I have an American copy of machine gun notes no 1 on here https://www.scribd.com/doc/38919269/Machine-Gun-Notes-No2-Part1 it is taken from British sources also parts 2 and three on there as well as machine gun notes 1 parts 1 &2

all my documents on there are as far as I am aware are copyright free and provided free of charge by myself

From N & MP:

The Employment of Machine Guns - SS 192 January 1918

Machine Gun Pamphlet Compendium - reprints in one volume:

Notes on the Employment of Machine Guns in Desert War Egypt - 1916

Notes and Rules for Barrage Fire with Machine Guns - 1917

Infantry Machine Gun Company Training - 1917

Machine Gun Squadron Drill - 1918

Hi,

Thank you both for your posts. I am off to look at the link above now. Am looking forward to seeing what it's contents is like. Squirrel, thanks for the name of one of the other books N&MP have. They seem to have a good selection of reprint manuals for the MG. It's just a pitty that they do not tend to give you a preview of some of there publications. Is the book you mention one you have yourself and would recommend?

Regards,

Stewart

Both worth a look at Stewart - reprints of the original pamphlets - lots of sound information on the deployment and use of Vickers and Lewis, liaison with other units, barrage firing, day and night firing, training etc.

Hi Squirrel,

It looks like I will be adding a couple more books to the collection! Thanks for the advice, it's always good to hear from someone who has seen them and know there contents.

Many thanks once again,

Stewart