Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patt'14

gew98

Saw a flat mint gorgeous Patt'14 today/ Was an ERA much later than mine. Zero brit stock markings - but near new original rifle. Apparently one that never got taken out of the crate and issued hence lack of brit markings on the wood. Matched bolt and all with volley sights. Guy wanted $1200. I'm sure I could have haggled it...have mixed feelings on passing on it. Had a matching regimental marked 15 spandau gew98 with me alot of sharks tried to get me to price... was looking to trade. Was looking for a nice gew98 date maker I did'nt have or a decent M1 Garand. Garands abounded in gobs at the show from $700 to way out there. A handfull of gew98's with only one matching - a 1917 Sauer with muzz cover at a whopping $1800 price. If I new for certain the guy would be there tommorrow I'd do the 60 mile drive and make a deal... I'm hooked on patty 14's I hate to admit,

Was it in a "fatso" stock or standard? I was reading that there were complaints that the rifles in the Fatso furniture would not fit in the standard packing crates correctly so the WD requested only standard stocks be fitted midway through the contract.

I was of the understanding (I think from Mercaldo and now I will need to check) that the British had inspectors in the factories in the US and so the marking was done there, they certainly had inspectors in the the factory. Did it have British acceptance marks on the left receiver rail?

I assume it was a MkI*?

It must have been nice $1200 is way up there. The last Patt '13 I saw was not too much above that!

Which show were you at?

At the other end of the spectrum I was considering a $200 DP Pattern '14 today!

Chris

Was at the SOS in Louisville. It had the fatso stock . There was no asterisk mark on wood or metal. I think there was a brit proof or two on the top flat area of the bolt handle. I've not ever encountered a patt14 without any proofs on the wood - and this appeared to never had had any. The color of the wood was like a red/orange like I have seen on pre 1914 SMLE's. I felt the fatso part of the stock a bit odd in that it appeared by feel that it was not as fat as my definate original int the area behind the volley sight. It's very possible the stock could have been refinished by an artisan sometime ago - sort of why I had mixed feelings about passing on it. Anyhow I have a buddy looking out for me and if the guy is there tommorrow he will let me know and I'll drive the approx 60 miles and get a serious look at it with mine in hand for comparison and go from there.

Good luck with that. Louisville is a little bit too far for me to justify (although it's ouch and go on the distance - makes for a very long day)

Chris