Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Exiting day ahead new purchasse on the way Kukri 1915

beestonboxer

Today if all goes well I am picking up a new addition to the collection exiting yes but at the same time a little apprehensive, its a MK1 Gurkha Kukri dated 1915 , apprehensive because I know the subject of Gurkhas Kukris especially with great war dates is a little bit of a minefield with many fakes out there on the market. It was a bit of a on the spot decision to make the offer on it, hoping that I had correctly remembered the rights and wrongs about the MK1 Kukri ( 1903-1915 ish ) my initial thoughts on picking it up for the first time was the weight of it, seemed much heavier than ones I had handled in the past and the sheer quality of the knife and scabbard, the scabbard being a beautiful brown leather with exquisite stitching on the reverse. Anyway I must make tracks and head forth, if I don't do anymore posts in the near future its because I am still wiping the tears from my eyes not those of joy but because ive brought a ringer. Fingers crossed but I am sure it ticks all the right boxes.

Fingers and toes crossed for you!

well I think I am in the clear comments most welcome especially regarding the stamp on the blade.

overall length 18 inches, blade length 13.5 inches, weight of knife without scabbard a whopping 969 grams , I cant believe the weight of it. Scabbard also looks to be dated 1915

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

post-92260-0-29861900-1425140435_thumb.j

post-92260-0-46363100-1425140588_thumb.j

post-92260-0-83738300-1425140649_thumb.j

post-92260-0-59162000-1425140695_thumb.j

post-92260-0-94122500-1425140733_thumb.j

Well this looks "right" to me but I suppose a good wrong 'un will look right!

An horrific weapon to be on the receiving end of.

Yes nearly a kilo of sharpened steel used in the correct manner would certainly cause horrific injuries - death

I know nothing about these but it looks good to my eye. Glad it worked out for you. I too had a new acquisition today..... A Lebel 1886/93 rifle.

TT

For background information, the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Gurkha Rifles has some links which however are located in the footnotes on the page.

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Gurkha_Rifles

One of these links is not currently working, but the contents can be seen on this archived version

https://web.archive.org/web/20140220115928/http://torabladesforum.co.uk/19th-century-accounts-of-the-kukri-in-action_topic2439.html

William Pennington in his autobiography Pick up your Parrots and Monkeys: The Life of a Boy Soldier in India (2003) reports being saved in WW2 Burma by a Gurkha who beheaded a Japanese who was about to kill the author (page 333). Pennington also reported seeing Ghurkas playing football with severed Japanese heads (page 332). (Pennington was a Boy Soldier in the 1930s and subsequently served in Burma with the Royal Artillery as a Forward Observation Officer, for which he was awarded the Military Cross)

Cheers

Maureen

well I think I am in the clear comments most welcome especially regarding the stamp on the blade.

Your blade and leather markings show ' Co ' being the Cossipore Arsenal mark, ' I ^ G ' being the Indian Government ownership mark, and the ' 1915 ' the date of manufacture.

Regards,

LF

I know nothing about these but it looks good to my eye. Glad it worked out for you. I too had a new acquisition today..... A Lebel 1886/93 rifle.

TT

yes im very happy with it, the quality of it far outshines any other Kukri I have handled before. Yours also sounds like a nice acquisition I like the look of the lebel rifle it served the French army well for many years took a look at the numbers manufactured 3,450,000 it says a lot.

Thanks for the input, does anyone know what the 10 stamped on the blade represents ?

These are a minefield, these are the markings on a fake in my possession.

post-11859-0-81311300-1425221141_thumb.j