Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEF 1914 1st Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers - Officers

Hello - I am trying to determine the fate of the Officers of the 1st Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers who qualified for the 1914 Star.

The battalion was widely dispersed after the battle of Le Cateau (26th Aug 1914) from their position near Haucourt. The war diary contains nine Officers' personal accounts of the action and the subsequent chaos. It is also supplemented by the CO's diary and the senior Major's diary which provide detail on the early actions. In the context of what happened to units nearby and units in the same Brigade (10th Inf Bde), one might expect to have seen more casualties on that day. For example 88% of the 2nd Bn Seaforth Highlanders' Officers became casualties (same Brigade).The diary is detailed but sadly (and understandably) does not capture the fate of all the officers. Nominal rolls are provided at the end of each month revealing who was left. They also reveal who disappeared between rolls but the diary does not capture what happened to them. The diaries also mention a 2 Lt W H Liesching (MiD 20/10/1914 - LG) who does not appear on the rolls. He is listed under the Royal Irish Fus in the Army List.

I have done this exercise with 70 battalions so far - starting with the medal roll and adding info from other sources. This is proving to be the most difficult to re-assemble. I have the war diary and have checked all the names against CWGC and POW archives. Researching individuals is an esoteric skill ad one that I don't have. Most battalions saw 80% Officer casualties in 1914 and it is very unlikely that the 1st Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers managed to escape the carnage of Mons, Le Cateau, the Retreat, the Aisne and first Ypres without seeing some significant attrition.

I do not own the published history (an original under £250 has eluded me for some time). If anyone can help fill in the blanks on the spreadsheet below, I would be extremely grateful. I am not looking for detailed biographies, simply their fate and date. Thank you. MG

P.S. Medal roll info (black), war diary (blue) and other sources (red). Sharp eyed people will notice conflicts in dates e.g. O'Donovan joining the battalion in Sep but the roll showing him disembarking in October. Any mistakes are mine. Edit Wakefield is entered twice.

post-55873-0-54139000-1425039193_thumb.j

MG

I will see if I can add a few service file ref details over the weekend. For now:

Major AR Burrowes seems to have made it out the other side and become a Colonel: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C681296

Captain CJ Elkan also,and became a Lt.Col : http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C692474

Captain VH Kavanagh also and became a Major : http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C708894

No file details seen in either WO339 or WO374 for Lt Col Churcher or Capt RJ Kentish,so likely served beyond 1921.

R J Kentish certainly survived, commanding a battalion in 1915 and then commanded theThird Army School. In 1917, as a Brig Gen, he commanded the Senior Officers School at Alershot, which trained potential COs.

Charles M

Kentish took over from Lewis as B-G 166 Brigade in December 17 and was with them till the end of the war. Wrote a book called 'This foul thing called War'. Haven't read it, but there's one on Amazon for less than £5. There's a couple of boxes of his papers in the N.A. too http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030021572

• 2 months later...

Dear Martin,

I've only just come across your post and checking your list against my records for the Regiment have the following so far, hope this is of help.

If you need any further information on the men let me know.

Kind regards

Andy

Shuter - died 28/3/57, picture and obituary

Churcher - died 8/11/25, joined regiment 1886, picture and obituary

Elkan - died December 1940

Hill - died 9/10/58, joined regiment 1906, picture and obituary

Kavanagh, died 22/3/58, joined regiment 1898, picture and obituary

Kentish, died 5/7/56, joined regiment 1897, picture and obituary

Wortham, died 1941

Orpen Palmer, died 18/10/41, obituary

Yates, died 1956, joined regiment 1908, obituary

O'Brien, died 11/9/44, joined regiment 1907, picture and obituary

Dear Martin,

I've only just come across your post and checking your list against my records for the Regiment have the following so far, hope this is of help.

Kind regards

Andy

Wortham, died 1941

Dear Martin,

Kind regards

Andy

Wortham, died 1941

Many thanks to you and the others who have responded.

Can I ask the source of this info?

Thanks MG

Hi Martin,

Obits and dates of death are from the Regimental journals 'Faugh A Ballagh' I've also got copies of index cards for some 1st Battalion Officers, which give details of when they embarked or were transferred and if wounded or killed. haven't looked through these yet, but can do so in the next couple of weeks if it will help.

Regards

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

A rather belated thank you to everyone who has responded. If anyone else has additional info it would be gratefully received. MG

• 8 years later...