Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

widowers and the Derby Scheme

me uncle joe

Hello,

I am looking for some information on the Derby Scheme and how it effected men who were widowers with children to support. Can someone tell me if I have this right, or perhaps add to my musings? In autumn 1915 men deemed eligible for service (18 to 41 and not in a starred occupation) were tracked down by canvassers, handed a letter from Lord Derby, and asked whether or not they would attest to join. Would my man in question, a 40-year-old widower with a daughter, have been canvassed in this way? Would his status as a widower with a child to support have right away let him off the hook with the canvassers? Or was his exception as a widower not made clear until the Military Service Act that followed in 1916?

Hello,

I am looking for some information on the Derby Scheme and how it effected men who were widowers with children to support. Can someone tell me if I have this right, or perhaps add to my musings? In autumn 1915 men deemed eligible for service (18 to 41 and not in a starred occupation) were tracked down by canvassers, handed a letter from Lord Derby, and asked whether or not they would attest to join. Would my man in question, a 40-year-old widower with a daughter, have been canvassed in this way? Would his status as a widower with a child to support have right away let him off the hook with the canvassers? Or was his exception as a widower not made clear until the Military Service Act that followed in 1916?

As many men as possible were canvassed so it's quite possible he was visited but it was still only a 'request' to enlist. I would suspect that any canvaser would note the details and move on.

Craig

Thanks Craig. That's what I imagined too.