Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bad Colberg POW camp. Photo album 1917-18

mrfrank

An image of three other ranks. To the left, Pte Alfred Herman, 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles who we've already seen. Card is signed to the reverse:

Pte William Hardy 221, A Coy 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders. Enlisted Dec 1908 when he was 14. Captured on 27th August 1914 at Bertry when aged 20. According to RC records he was born in Belfast and his mother/Next of Kin was resident at Cottingham St, Brunswick Road, Manchester.

Having looked back at the group shot in post #7, I think Pte Hardy is the individual on the right of this image as he appears to be the same chap as the one in the Gordon Highlanders uniform to the rear right of the earlier group shot.

Almost certainly taken in June 1918 and the card is signed by the subject on the 30th of the month.

post-59858-0-13736100-1426459403_thumb.j

Pte Alfred Henry Zimmer 15843, X Coy 1st Battalion Essex Regiment. Captured on 14th April 1917 at Arras aged 34. RC records gives his wife as living at Cathall Rd, Leytonstone, London. He was moved to Cassel POW camp at the end of Aug 1918.

post-59858-0-14860000-1426465003_thumb.j

To the right the unidentified lieutenant of possibly the Queen's again.

This card has faintly written in pencil to the reverse "25 Shepard". Checked the Cox & Co POW lists and there is only one person listed with that spelling and happily he is RAF and according to the RC records present at Bad Colberg in 1918. So I assume the RAF officer to the left is:

2nd Lt Thomas Shepard, 40 Sqn., RFC. Captured at Wingles on the 9th March 1917 aged 26. Born Kingsthorp. Father's address given as Marine Square, Brighton.

post-59858-0-99137200-1426541320_thumb.j

Next image is of 'The Phollees' concert party in full flow.

A bit of time on the internet has led me to the Gordon Jacob website that has the photo numbered immediately before this one on it and taken during the same performance. The chap at the piano is:

2nd Lt Gordon Percival Septimus Jacob, A Coy, 1st Battalion, Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment. Captured on 23rd April 1917 aged 21 during the attack on the Hindenburg line to the south of Fontaine les Croisilles. A prominent British composer of the 20th century who passed away in 1984.

post-59858-0-01380600-1426635662_thumb.j

A group shot of four unidentified officers, two army and two RAF. The individual on the left appears to be the most senior....a staff officer? It would appear that Brig-General Frederick Stewart Bailey was held at this camp along with Vivian Telford Bailey and HC Rees of the same rank. Perhaps someone may be able to put a name to him.

post-59858-0-70451300-1426797557_thumb.j

The next two are great images of the same eight officers who probably share a room/dorm. All unidentified on this card. However, the 2nd Lt to front right looks like he could be either Cheshire or East Yorks Regt. No Cheshire Regt officer on the RC records I've looked at so far and one EYR officer, a 2nd Lt Frank Stevenson of the 4th Battalion captured in April 1917.

post-59858-0-11333400-1426797758_thumb.j

......The same eight officers, this time possibly in their shared dorm/room '24B'? Lots of smoking requisites on the table and appear to be enjoying a glass or two of wine.

This card is signed in pencil to the reverse by GH Beyfus:

2nd Lt Gilbert Hugh Beyfus, 2nd Battalion West Riding Regiment. Captured on 8th May 1915 at Ypres aged 29. Born London and address on card given as Hamilton Terrace, St John's Wood, London.

Harrow School 1899-1904, Oxford, Barrister 1908. 2nd Lt 3rd Bn WRR Aug 14 and to France 1915. Wounded and taken prisoner.

In 1959 he famously defended Liberace in a libel suit against the Daily Mirror.

As he was born in 1885, he would be 33 years old when this image is taken. If he is one of the officers here then my money is probably on the chap on the left, but who knows!

If he is in this photo that would date it to post 21st Aug 1918 as that is when he arrived at Bad Colberg from Holzminden.

post-59858-0-76185400-1426803358_thumb.j

Three characters that we have already seen are in this image:

Pte Alfred Herman, 1st Canadian Mounted Rifle is wearing the Gordon Highlander headdress of the bare-headed Pte William Hardy, 1st Gordon Highlanders. Sitting on the right is Pte John Fawcett, 2nd Sherwood Foresters.

Soldier to rear left is wearing a South Staffordshire Regiment cap badge and there is only one S Staffs man in the Red Cross blocks that all the named men have appeared in thus far [20116-118, 20146-149] so I'll say that he is possibly.......

Pte John Hamblin 12582, D Coy 1st Battalion captured at Vermelles on 25th September 1915 aged 20. Born Gloucester and Next of Kin resident in Birmingham.

The soldier seated centre seems to be from the Suffolks and there are two possible candidates:

Pte William Eady 6179 or Pte William Moull 6463 who would have joined up in 1902 and 1903 respectively.

Both were captured at Le Cateau whilst serving with the 2nd Bn on 26th August 1914post-59858-0-75905300-1426973813_thumb.j

Next image is of Merchant Navy officer J V Reynolds of the SS Voltaire that was intercepted and scuttled 650 miles west of Fastnet by the German armed merchant raider RMS Moewe on the 2nd December 1916 whilst bound for Boston via Halifax from Liverpool. There were no casualties. The Moewe had left Kiel on the 23rd November 1916 on its second cruise and the SS Voltaire was its first victim - it sank a further 24 vessels.

post-59858-0-43347400-1427067499_thumb.j

The next image appears to show a game of cricket in progress with a makeshift wicket and a crease marked out on the right. This is the only card that has actually been postally used and was used to communicate with Pte Swift in Nottingham in early February 1919. It was sent by 2nd Lt Frederick William Gee, 7th Battalion East Surrey Regiment who was captured at Monchy Le Preux on 3rd May 1917 aged 24. Born London and the PC is sent from Eltham in London. Medal rolls show that prior to commissioning [gazetted temp 2nd Lt 26th Sep 1916] he was Pte 1977 Argylll and Sutherland Highlanders.

The rather mundane message from FW Gee concerns the arrival of the heavy luggage [probably from captivity?] and the promise to send on Pte Swift's coat as soon as it arrives. However, the sender does ask the recipient to excuse the use of this particular/Bad Colberg postcard adding 'don't think I am trying to revive unpleasant memories'.

post-59858-0-03148400-1427154630_thumb.j

This image appears to be of a West Yorkshire Regiment private. Card is unsigned. However, in the RC blocks there is only one WYR other rank named. So he could possibly be:

Private James Alexander Adams 8245, B Coy 1st Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. RC records state captured at Soissons on 31st September 1914 [31st?!] aged 24. Born London with Next of Kin at Boleyn Road, Forest Gate, London.

The soldier in question appears to have suffered a facial wound and has scarring to his left cheek.

post-59858-0-95320800-1427228968_thumb.j

Another image of Pte Andrew Storrie 11704, 2nd KOSB who we saw in post #14.

This time in more casual attire - pictured in his bed-space - together with what are probably family pictures and a fine array of pipes! Signed to the front the day before the armistice is signed and to the reverse his address given as 32 The Loan, Hawick.

post-59858-0-73385000-1427311237_thumb.j

Another image of Pte Andrew Storrie 11704, 2nd KOSB who we saw in post #14.

This time in more casual attire - pictured in his bed-space - together with what are probably family pictures and a fine array of pipes! Signed to the front the day before the armistice is signed and to the reverse his address given as 32 The Loan, Hawick.

What a great photo! Many Thanks again for posting these, Mike. A Really fantastic collection.......!

Glad you're finding them as interesting as I am!

Here's a close up, individual shot of Pte Michael Gallagher of 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers who was previously featured in post #8.

post-59858-0-38592200-1427498740_thumb.j

An image of three other ranks. The individual to the left has no cap badge visible. The individual to the centre has signed the card to the front post Armistice - Pte Herbert Loseby of 1st Leicesters who we've seen previously.

The soldier to the right appears to be from the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment. There is only one individual listed in the pertinent RC blocks for this regiment and a single stripe appears to be visible on his right sleeve. There are some conflicting details in the RC records for this individual who could possibly be:

Lance Corporal Frank E Cable G/874 C Company, 1st or 6th Queen's captured at Graincourt on 18th or 24th November 1916 aged 22 born London and next of kin given as Camden Road, London.

post-59858-0-14601200-1427499468_thumb.j

Bandsman Henry Buck 9045, 2nd South Lancashire Regiment. Service number means he enlisted sometime in 1908 probably when aged 14. Captured in the vicinity of Neuve Chapelle on 21st October 1914 at the age of 20. Born London and next of kin given as his sister living at Durham Buildings, York Road, Battersea.

Again, card is signed by the soldier in question shortly after the Armistice.

post-59858-0-15187200-1427554826_thumb.j

Bandsman Henry Buck 9045, 2nd South Lancashire Regiment. Service number means he enlisted sometime in 1908 probably when aged 14. Captured in the vicinity of Neuve Chapelle on 21st October 1914 at the age of 20. Born London and next of kin given as his sister living at Durham Buildings, York Road, Battersea.

Again, card is signed by the soldier in question shortly after the Armistice.

Looks to me as though he's the man sitting on the steps (the one without a cap-badge) in the previous post (#42) - look at his eyebrows, I'm sure it's the same man.

The soldier to the right appears to be from the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment. There is only one individual listed in the pertinent RC blocks for this regiment and a single stripe appears to be visible on his right sleeve.

Lance Corporal Frank E Cable.

A quick word about identifying POW's on the basis of their cap-badges......

POW's can often be seen wearing cap-badges of regiments they were unconnected with. I'm not sure exactly why this was, the British authorities were responsible for providing these men's uniforms so presumably they also sent packs of badges and buttons to each camp - maybe the men would just help themselves to whatever was available? For example, I have photos of an AIF man wearing a Devonshire cap-badge, a Lincolnshires man wearing a Leics R cap-badge, another AIF man wearing a Gordons badge, a R Sussex man wearing a French uniform complete with French badges, etc, etc, etc. Not saying that this isn't the man you believe it to be, and I've also tried to identify otherwise unidentified POW's by using the same method you've used here, I'm just saying that it's wise not to assume too much without other corroborative details.

I fully take on board the fact that putting a name to a face in a particular image on the strength of the Red Cross records and a cap badge is speculation and no more. However, due to the wonders of the internet, I believe it's worth stating the name as being a 'possible' identity. In the fullness of time someone doing on-line research on a particular individual may be able to prove or disprove the guesswork.

The next couple of images are large group shots of the Other Ranks...............

Next is a shot from distance of the Sanitorium/POW camp itself. Looks a lovely place.......unless you were a prisoner I suppose.

post-59858-0-10162600-1428357000_thumb.j

An individual shot, unfortunately unsigned. Can anyone provide any suggestions for the cap badge?

post-59858-0-19989900-1428357162_thumb.j