Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl William Parsons

GraemeClarke

Morning

Can anyone help with the below, please. He is not on CWGC.

He is shown on the Walsall RoH. The index cards show to the roll have him as serving as

Lance Corporal 251240, 3/6th Battalion, Manchester Regiment

Died in England on Thursday 26 July 1917

I have previously struggled with this one but, after 20 plus years, I have found him on the the new 'effects' register

post-10072-0-07869300-1424764417_thumb.j

Cannot positively ID him in 'deaths'.

Can a fresh pair of eyes turn up anything ??

Many thanks,

Graeme

Stop press

Have found his wife and daughter on a 1911 (link here). Definitely her as address matches the index card.

He was therefore William Ethelbert Parsons

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/2352/rg14_17165_0343_03/57169370?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3d1911England%26h%3d57169370%26ti%3d5538%26indiv%3dtry%26gss%3dpt%26ssrc%3dpt_t31759108_p18612471427_kpidz0q3d18612471427z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid&ssrc=pt_t31759108_p18612471427_kpidz0q3d18612471427z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Could this be him? Have you any idea of his age?

William PARSONS, born 1875, died (age 42) in the 3Q 1917. The death was registered in the Chorlton Registration District.
(CHORLTON registration district became Manchester South in 1925.)

Hi

Many thanks for looking into this.

From the information I have found his age seems too old. If the information I found is correct, he was born in 1885 in Rowley Regis.

Strangely he is not on the 1911 census (that I can find), but is on the 1901 residing in Wolverhampton.

Seems to fit though,

Cheers,

Graeme

Graeme

Gotta be worth a punt on the death certificate........right name, right place of death, right period of time. And no other likely candidates.

Assuming the death certificate supports the Effects Register that he was serving at time of death (or, at least, doesnt actively negate it), then it will be worth a submission to the CWGC. In From the Cold Project will be happy to do this on your behalf if you wish - give us a shout when you have the certificate.

John

The 42 year old could be this man;

Burial: 30 Jul 1917 St Thomas, Pendleton, Lancashire, England
William Parsons -
Abode: 8 Mary St. Hulme

Graeme,

The man you seem to think is him is on a family tree on Ancestry here :

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/12815363/person/2014281275?ssrc=&ml_rpos=2

The tree owner may not have much extra on him, but there is a link to the 1891 census.

Also, on the 1911 census, his wife Gertrude is married (9 years) but living with her father Sidney Smith at No.14 Adam Row in Walsall. She appers to have 2 daughters Lavinia and Beatrice.

Perhaps William Parsons was in the army or at sea?

BillyH.

The 42 year old could be this man;

Burial: 30 Jul 1917 St Thomas, Pendleton, Lancashire, England

William Parsons -

Abode: 8 Mary St. Hulme

Difficult. This looks good but no apparent death registration....

***Edit - sorry this is wrong, it fits with he #2 record but not his apparent true Date of Birth, 1885.

(According to the effects register the William PARSONS died in Manchester.)

FWIW Pendleton is one of the suburbs of Salford which is next to Manchester.It is two miles from the city centre of Manchester. Along the A6.

John

Thinking of the E:

His effects record has no middle name.

There is no Death Registration for a William E, or a William + name beginning with an E, who died in 1917 and was of an age to be considered.

EDIT: Graeme, is his name on the Walsall RoH William or William E ?

CGM

Morning all,

Many thanks for all the input.

I have taken the 'E' from the family tree on Ancestry, this could be a complete red herring as there does not appear to be a death registered relating to this man's age.

He is on the Walsall RoH index card as

Lance Corporal 251240, 3/6th Battalion, Manchester Regiment. Died on Thursday 26 July 1917. Address 14, Adams Row, Walsall.

I think the older William Parsons is correct but cannot find any census for him, as yet, but still looking,

Many thanks again, appreciate all your time and effort,

Regards,

Graeme

• 4 years later...

Hi Graeme, did you ever get anywhere with this one? There is a pension card for William Parsons, details match those given above. It has both the 14 Adams Row address and also 8 Mary Street, Hulme (the same address as the burial register), so that confirms the entry in the death register. Cause of death is give as "pneumonia, cardiac failure, aggravated by A.S.".

Not sure if this is the same man, but the Hyde Road Wesleyan Church & Sunday School Roll of Honour lists a William Parsons. I think this was in West Gorton which isn't that far from Hulme,

https://www.mlfhs.org.uk/data/war_memorials_images.php?memorial=70

Hi Paul,

Just noticed your replies, many thanks.

Im on my Kindle at the moment but will have a better look in the morning when I can access my research,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Paul,

I never got any further I'm afraid.

Did not know the Manchester address and cause of death so many thanks indeed for the information.

You mention a burial register, do you know where his is buried ??

Regards,

Graeme

See post #5 above, but the actual register is on Ancestry. Doesn't look like St Thomas has much of a churchyard though, there are four WW1 casualties there on a "special memorial" (you can see it in the link below) plus a single WW2 casualty with a commission headstone.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/41155/pendleton-(st.-thomas)-churchyard/

• 1 month later...

Hi Graeme,
This is a solid IFCP case, as he died from a condition aggravated by service.  Do you want to apply for the Death Certificate and pass it to IFCP? They now have all the supporting documents.

Tim
ps 53 other Manchesters cases in hand, so keen to see William commemorated.

• 3 years later...

Unfortunately, Parsons has now been rejected for commemoration.

Morning,

Many thanks for the effort you have put in, appreciate it,

Regards,

Graeme

It was @8055Bell who put the case forward so he might know more about it.

Hi Graeme,

Our case revolved aroung the WFA Pension Card notation that cause of death was aggravated by service.  Many other cases have recently been rejected on this basis and it's clear MoD now require other records to corroborate the cards.

Tim