Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Bayonets

Khaki

The German's being logical and efficient, why didn't they standardize their wartime bayonets as to blade length and model ?, I am not referring to foreign blades that were used with captured weapons, but to the blades for the G98. Why did they keep producing various patterns?

khaki

Not quite with you there, unless you mean why did they not produce a single length bayonet for all rifles? Good question, as production of the S.98 basically stopped around 1910 or so (in a pub having a beer, and so free from the boys, but can't check that right now!), and although a few S.98 were produced in 1914, that essentially was that. S.98/05 production picked up massively in 1915 (I think after March-June?). Those two babies are, of course, different blade lengths, but why, IIRC, did they use a shorter specification for the S14 first type and the ersatz series is really weird - the lengths of these are somewhere mid-way between the 74/88 and 98/05...

Maybe I didn't frame my question clearly (sorry),but essentially you have it, surely for efficiency and material/ cost saving the bayonet blade length and design should have been standardized, such as was eventually done for the K98 of WW2 fame.

khaki

Maybe I didn't frame my question clearly (sorry),but essentially you have it, surely for efficiency and material/ cost saving the bayonet blade length and design should have been standardized, such as was eventually done for the K98 of WW2 fame.

khaki

Yes, what I still find puzzling is why the German States mobiiised an extra million men between August-December with not enough Gew 98 and suitable bayonets for them. As far as I can make it out that's why the cack-handed response in (over)ordering S14 types I and II, and then the Erstaz series - "We want a pointed thing about 30 cm long that will fit on a rifle model 88 and/or 98 and when we have enough we'll make more of the longer wooden-hilted 98/05 to replace these"...