Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

jscott

After many years of storing my bayonets in random plastic ikea boxes, I thought it was time to purchase something slightly more upmarket for them to live in.

This was my solution. Not entirely ideal, asI would have preferred something a little more aesthetically appealing, but I'm pretty happy with this little tool chest for the time being.

Thought Id post up some shots as its taken me about 5 years to decide how to store all of these!

post-55285-0-26268600-1424602189_thumb.j

post-55285-0-95394600-1424602397_thumb.j

post-55285-0-18352900-1424602475_thumb.j

And yes the German drawer is looking a little messy, I know...

post-55285-0-32707900-1424602280_thumb.j

Looking good J, and you've got it well stocked already.! Only problem with that idea is that 1 set of drawers is never going to be enough. As long as they are stackable ... :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Same problem here... I have been looking for an old plan chest for donks to solve this problem as things like that tool-box don't seem to exist in Gobble-gobble Turkey... The alternative is to probably get one made...

At the moment some of mine are on formal display in the entrance hall (i.e., with frogs and hanging from a rail - it's the P1888-1907 series right now to show off the new HQ!); some hang from nails in the corridor leading to my 'study' (the French Lebel and the French and Greek Gras); some are in three Iside-by-side Ikea drawer-cabinets in the 'study'; the long ones are also there in a three drawer tool chest, but with deep drawers, so not really suitable; and 6 are on a table in my project room at uni, as I am studying those in more detail right now...

Trajan

Yes I thought of the plan chest option, as it would probably be better looking - but i wasn't sure whether a wooden chest would be sufficiently strong to hold 12-15 bayonets per tray (and indeed whether the drawers would open and close properly). Also tough to find one big enough - my chest is 36 inches across the front.

... my chest is 36 inches across the front.

Lordy lordy... ^_^

But yes, I do know what you mean. I think an old wooden architects plan chest might be ok, but many of these (and the metal equivalents) are way too wide. Somewhere here and on GBF I think I have seen a nice USA-made cabinet purpose built for bladed weapons. I was going to use that as a guide for a carpenter, with a bookcase over for books. BUT, the usual problem is that one would then have to fix a maximum number of drawers and so bayonets... And as we all know, there's always one new nice example that turns up... I have just bought my 5th Waffenfabrik W/17 98/05 because, well, it looked lonely?