Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bethune Town Cemetery

Sue Light

I hope to be visiting Bethune Town Cemetery [among others] over the weekend, but the CWGC is a little sketchy on where exactly it is. Can anybody give me an idea of which part of the town it is in, how to get there - name of road etc., assuming I am coming in via Le Touret and Essars.

Thanks - Sue

Hello,

I am sorry as I don't think I can help you on getting to Bethune. If I were you, I would drive up to the church. There's a big chance the town cemetery is next to it. If it isn't, the parsonage will be, and the priest will be able to help you out.

However, if you are at the cemetery, I wondered if you could check whether there are any CWGC-staff burried there? I have reasons to believe there was quite a British population in post war Bethune, but I wondered how many are buried there. You can easaly recognise their headstone. They look like the normal CWGC headstones, but have a slightly different top.

many thanks in advance,

Bert.

Hi there

I was there last year, have a road map of Bethune but forgot to mark the cemetery on it.

I think that if you come from Essars you come to a very big roundabouut on the northern outskirts of Bethune. Take the second exit from that (Rue de Pont de Pierres). Keep going on that and the cemetery should appear on your right side. At the bottom of the Rue on the right is the entrance to the cemetery with some parking spaces in a cul-de-sac in front of the cemetery gates. You will have to turn right and right again to reach them (one-way system permitting!). The CWGC plot is at the far end, with another plot on the right side.

The directions are not a certainty, so if they are incorrect, I apologise in advance. I'm sure one of the Pals will confirm them, or direct you correctly.

I can't remember it now, but there is a phrase on French signposts for a CWGC cemetery - worth remembering when you see it, for it can work wonders added to "Ou est...." :)

Richard

Thanks - that's a great help as my IGN map has a large cemetery marked more or less where you have led me - at least I will know roughly where I should be - I think my own epitaph will start 'Pardon monsieur, ou est.......?' ;)

and Bert - assuming I find my way in, I will have a look for any staff that may be there [not the living sort].

Regards - Sue

It is the huge cemetery on your map, Sue. It's surrounded by a huge 10 foot wall and you won't see the graves when you approach it. There is a large entrance with parking nearby - and there was a CWGC sign directing you to this area. You then go in past some civil graves until you see the first plot where Capt De Pass VC, Indian Army, is buried and then in the main cemetery.

For more directions try:

Mappy.Com

Which is a very useful French site, but in English!

Paul

Now hiding behind a high wall is not quite cricket - I normally need neon signs and runway lights to get me in! The map site is good though :)

Thanks - Sue