Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

gilly100

Albert Facey 11Bn AIF

Bryn
11 hours ago, Auimfo said:

And yes, we’re all well aware that the records contain inaccuracies both considerable at times and minor at others.  But thanks for letting us know. 👍🏻

and: 

It’s a good thing you don’t own the bat and ball. 😫

Cheers,

Tim.

Good onya Tim. You've lost none of your  command of hilarious sarcasm but I see now you've mastered emoticons as well. 

Edited by Bryn

gilly100

It's  all the same, bat, ball, theirs, ours, their interpretation, our interpretation. Poor old Facey gets smashed and no one even dares to critique some of the Turk OH stuff and all their locked away records. Everything they have said is accurate of course. Pig's ****.😁😉

With our rifles and our faith. Pfft.

Auimfo

Bryn,

Thought about it for a while but ultimately couldn’t be bothered.  Far more interesting things to do with my time.

😴 This is the closest to a yawn emoticon I could find.  

Cheers,

Tim.

Edited by Auimfo

Auimfo
4 hours ago, gilly100 said:

It's  all the same, bat, ball, theirs, ours, their interpretation, our interpretation. Poor old Facey gets smashed and no one even dares to critique some of the Turk OH stuff and all their locked away records. Everything they have said is accurate of course. Pig's ****.😁😉

With our rifles and our faith. Pfft.

Gilly, I think you’re mixing your topics up again.  I’ve never ‘smashed’ Facey and nor am I going to critique Turkish records that I’ve never seen, researched or commented on anywhere.  They might be relevant to the machine-gun topic but they make not one iota of difference to a debate about Facey landing on 25/4 or not.

By the way, I see you’ve used two emoticons together - Bryn will be impressed.

Cheers,

Tim.

Edited by Auimfo

gilly100

😁😗🤗😋🥉for your quality sarcasm Tim. Love it but it's only a bronze. When there is a concise,  proper and fearless critique of the Ottoman narrative it will be a good day. Plenty could and should do it, but they won't. Facey unfortunately  is another by product of that narrative. If he is so unbelievable then he should never had been exploited to prosecute an argument in the first case. 

Ian

gilly100
On 31/12/2018 at 19:19, Bryn said:

Gilly,

I've long noted in my own research that the 11Bn had possibly the worst record-keeping regarding dates of death etc. of any Australian unit at the Landing. 35 soldiers are recorded as having been killed on 2 May, when the battalion was not engaged in any fighting. Almost all, if not all, of these were certainly killed between 25 and 28-29 April, with evidence for many. 

My point being that anyone who blindly trusts an 11Bn document at the time of landing at Gallipoli...

Regards 

Bryn

Some of this lousy record keeping can be put down to all the sergeant majors responsible for keeping records within their company's were all killed or wounded the first day.  The casualties for 11bn were much higher the first day than many realise.

Ian

Auimfo

Just happened across this 2016 article examining Facey’s ‘A Fortunate Life’ which makes for interesting reading.

http://journal.media-culture.org.au/index.php/mcjournal/article/view/1132

it seems that a closer analysis of Facey’s drafts and final publication would suggest  a few claims that are perhaps more akin to a storyteller spinning a good yarn or perhaps the result of blurred recollections over many passing years before being recorded on paper.

His apparent wounding and subsequent discharge as recorded in the book does not tally with the official records and nor does Facey’s claim in an early draft (edited out of the final publication I believe) that he witnessed Kitchener at Gallipoli.  The former may be an effort to condense unrecorded events into a single occurrence but the latter claim would have been impossible as Kitchener visited in November and Facey was evacuated months earlier.

In any event, it just adds to the likelihood that Facey was indeed a good ‘yarn-spinner’ and while his book may be largely based on his life, not everything in it should necessarily be taken as gospel truth.

Cheers,

Tim.

gilly100

yawn

WhiteStarLine

Thanks for posting this Tim, an interesting read.

Auimfo

Great input there Gilly.  But at least I now know you’ve read it.

stevebecker

Tim,

reminds me of the many discussions had on the Old LH Assoc site about a ALH Writer in the 5th LHR and his book?

You know the one who wrote he was every where and saw every thing, makes you say hummm.

But all in all, a good story anyway, like Albert's

S.B

PMHart
Posted (edited)

I absolutely love the mingled hatred, contempt and despair expressed so eloquently in this and other threads relating to his pet obsessions by Gilly100. Keep up the good work chum!

Pete

Edited by PMHart

Steven Broomfield
On 28/02/2020 at 02:29, stevebecker said:

Tim,

reminds me of the many discussions had on the Old LH Assoc site

S.B

I do so miss that site. Such fun.

gilly100
On 03/03/2020 at 17:22, PMHart said:

I absolutely love the mingled hatred, contempt and despair expressed so eloquently in this and other threads relating to his pet obsessions by Gilly100. Keep up the good work chum!

Pete

Are you related to PHart who left in a 'superior than all disgust' so long ago?

No hatred, contempt or despair here, that is exclusively your domain going on previous performances.

I have researched a good deal on this, debunked some others assertions on how he wrote his story and given examples of his first day account marrying up nicely with others in his company that day. As I said so long ago, if he wasn't there, why would anyone use him to argue a no mg case?

I believe the jury is still out on all this. 

Is it welcome back until the next 'I am superior to all those who disagree with me' meltdown?

Ian

RedCoat

Ian, forgive me if you already know this -

Albert Facey was at some point supposedly treated in No.8 General Hospital, for injuries he apparently received after he was buried by sandbags that were displaced by a shell and later from the effects of a bomb which was thrown by a Turkish infantryman at close quarters.

He had two brothers killed at Gallipoli, Joseph Facey of the 10th Light Horse, he was apparently shot and bayonetted 7 times to death. Joseph had served in the Boer War with the 6th West Australian Contingent and was the first man of the 6th Contingent to be wounded in 1901. Roy Barker Facey was also killed in action at Gallipoli being blown to pieces by a shell.

I am staying out of the debate but found the above so thought I would pass it on.

Cheers

gilly100

Thanks Redcoat

Yes, thanks, well aware on the Facey family sacrifice in WW1. Albert Facey had a son born in 1919 (by same name) who served with the 2/4th Machine Gun Battalion in WW2 and was killed in action on 15 February 1942 at Cemetery Hill, Buona Vista. Lies in a collective grave in Kranji War Cemetery. He was initially buried where killed with eight others in two separate graves, one with four, the other with five by denomination, RC and Protestant.

Facey's involvement with the RSL around this news saw him move away from further involvement I believe.

Ian

RedCoat

No worries Ian, I saw you mention that it was disputed Albert was wounded so thought I would post the info on that.