Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

does the cemetary give a clue to where he fought

mcfc1923

Just wondered if a soldier was buried in a certain cemetary, does this mean he fought in a specific battle.

It's just that I have a medal to a soldier who was kia and buried at Carnoy cemetary, and i'm off on my first trp to the Somme so as well as paying my respects

i would like to also find out if he was involved in a certain battle.

Regards

Jim

Jim,

Cemetery + date of death + location of Bn at that time can be the start of the story.

Provide some more details of your man and we shall see.

Regards,

Marco

Jim,

I cannot speak for Carnoy and the Somme area, but in many (most ?) Ypres Salient cemeteries, this would not work. (I mean : the cemetery would hardly be an indication as to where the man fell.)

In the Salient some small cemeteries indeed are battlefield cemeteries (like Dragoon Camp Cemetery, in Boezinge, my village). Other larger cemeeries started as a battlefield cemetery, or a cemetery close to where the battlefield was, but after the Armistice were enlarged with hundreds of men from smaller cemeteries that were removed, nearby, but also from far away. (Like Artillery Wood Cemetery, Boezinge : originally 141, later + over 1,150 ; and a better known example : Tyne Cot Cemetery, originally 300 or so (?), near the Cross of Sacrifice, later enlarged + 11,500). Sometimes the cemeteries (or some of them) from which these remains came ware mentioned in the records. (CWGC, or M. Scott, the Ypres Salient.)

The number of the Plot (I) or the plot where the headstones are not really arranged may be an indication that this is the original plot.

But again : this is for the Ypres Salient. No idea how it is in the Somme area, and to what extent these cemeteries are concentration cemeteries or battlefield cemeteries.

Aurel

Jim

Looking at the CWGC website, it doesnt mention that Carnoy was a concentration cemetery, so it will be a reasonable assumption that your man will have fought in the fairly immediate vicinity.

Is he a Manchester? Quite a few in there, from memory.

John

According to Martin Middlebrook, Carnoy was used as a comrades cemetery from August 1915 until July 1916 and was then used by medical units until 1917.

Bob.

Jim,

Cemetery + date of death + location of Bn at that time can be the start of the story.

Provide some more details of your man and we shall see.

Regards,

Marco

I have a fair bit of information thanks to the help of harribobs, and info that came with the medal, but i would like to try and find out the most likely place he was killed.

He was a cpl who served with the 21st service battalion manchester regiment, and was kia while a member of D company No. XIV Platoon on the 1/7/1916

corporal Thomas Cook, 19358, man reg

Thanks pals

jim

Jim

Smack bang on the plot!

21st Mancs were attacking Mametz. Good description in Stedman's book "Manchester Pals" (just republished).

I suspect Carnoy and Danzig Alley Cemeteries will have most of the burials.

John

Jim.

You can see D Coy of the 21/Manchester's positions and progress throughout July 1st on this map extract from the OH. You should be able to pinpoint what you're looking for pretty accurately from this....

Dave.

post-19-1099871992.jpg

Dave

where does Carnoy lie in relation to the fighting at mametz?

chris

Dave

where does Carnoy lie in relation to the fighting at mametz?

chris

Behind the lines in a different divisional sector....

Dave.

post-19-1099877039.jpg

Jim.

The next 3 posts cover what the "sort of" Battalion History for the 21/Mancs says for 1st July...

Dave.

post-19-1099877953.jpg

post-19-1099878026.jpg

...and 3...

(I presume you've got M.Stedman's account from his "Manchester Pals" book?)

Dave.

post-19-1099878173.jpg

While we're at it, let's chuck in a trench-map fragment for around the date you're looking for!.....

Dave.

post-19-1099878721.jpg

Cheers pals, info and maps are excellent, not had time to digest everything as yet,

but it appears there are 2 or 3 more than likely places where he was killed.

The ones that stand out, bearing in mind this is after only a quick look at info and maps would be when B C AND D companies moved up from their original positions

in Queens road and London road west, and went into the front line trenches vacated by the south staffs, or Danzig alley is another one.

Going to have a real good look at the info provided and see if i can come up with

a good educated guess as to wher he was when kia.

Would the fact that he was a cpl suggest that whatever D company did on that day,

he would have been in the thick of it?, of course they were all in the thick of it, but just trying to get an idea of what orders a cpl would have been given etc, would i be correct in saying that a cpl would have been in charge of about 15 men?.

I would be more than interested in any pals educated guess as to the most likely

place he was when killed.

also, did the relatives have a choice as to wher their beloved was buried, France

or Britain.

cheers pals

much appreciated

Jim

Jim

First the easy one - there was no choice about place of burial.

It really is all but impossible to speculate where your man might have actually been killed. It could be anywhere along the route - he might not even have got out of the trench (not idle speculation - many of those who advanced furthest will be amongst the unknown - those who died in the trench or near to it were easist to recover and identify.). The above account does mention three occasions when the Company particularly took casualties - pays yer money, takes yer choice.

I think there's one of the little Battleground Europe books to this sector which, if there is, I heartily recommend you get before your trip. The one I have for Montauban was invaluable ion my first visit

John

Jim

First the easy one - there was no choice about place of burial.

It really is all but impossible to speculate where your man might have actually been killed. It could be anywhere along the route - he might not even have got out of the trench (not idle speculation - many of those who advanced furthest will be amongst the unknown - those who died in the trench or near to it were easist to recover and identify.). The above account does mention three occasions when the Company particularly took casualties - pays yer money, takes yer choice.

I think there's one of the little Battleground Europe books to this sector which, if there is, I heartily recommend you get before your trip. The one I have for Montauban was invaluable ion my first visit

John

Many thanks John, it's made it all a lot more clearer now, and will take your adivce

RE battlefield Europe books.

many thanks John and all the pals who have enlightened me.

much appreciated and it's certainly given me an interest in trench maps.

regards

Jim

much appreciated and it's certainly given me an interest in trench maps.

Wanna buy some, Jim? ;)

Dave :P

money is a bit tight at the moment, that's why i'm trying to sell some of my own stuff, but i don't suppose there is any harm in asking what maps you have and how much you would selling for. ;)

Jim

money is a bit tight at the moment, that's why i'm trying to sell some of my own stuff, but i don't suppose there is any harm in asking what maps you have and how much you would selling for. ;)

Jim

I was only joking Jim!!! :D

Dave.

(PS. but if you want the full collection as a job lot (and I'll have to check first with a mate of mine who's the "co-owner" of the collection) I'll let you have it for £9500 - and , believe me, that's a bargain these days (probably about £1500 less than "market value") !!!!).

(PS. but if you want the full collection as a job lot (and I'll have to check first with a mate of mine who's the "co-owner" of the collection) I'll let you have it for £9500 - and , believe me, that's a bargain these days (probably about £1500 less than "market value") !!!!).

If you've really developed an interest in trench maps though, you might find it cheaper to invest in the "IWM Trenchmap Archive" CD-ROM published by the N&MP. Many of mine are on this CD (which is a godsend for me as it saves wear and tear on the originals when I want to scan sections for whatever reason), but it doesn't have any of my "true loves" - the 1:20,000 scalers :rolleyes: ! :D

dave.

Jim

I was only joking Jim!!! :D

Dave.

ONLY JOKING!!!!!, well i had better tear this cheque up then.

£9500 ?, well slap my thigh and call me brenda, in the name of cliff richard has the world gone mad?, (i dare not ask how much the CD would cost)

DAVE DAVE DAVE!!!!!, For that amount of money you need only have asked me and i would have mapped the lot out for you in my own blood, infact i would have

thrown in a couple of pints of blood for free and an A TO Z of Manchester(sometimes my generosity knows no bounds)

so i suppose a straight swop for Blackadder goes forth is out of the question?

(now don't be to quick in coming to a decision, were talking double video, a job lot)

that must be one hell of a map Dave

nice one Dave

Jim

Isn't the cemetery named Dantzig Alley instead of Danzig? If so how did that happen?

In Carnoy is Percy, oh heck Percy kick the football, darn I know that, oh well I'll think of it soon as I start the walk home from downtown & farmers market .

Isn't the cemetery named Dantzig Alley instead of Danzig? If so how did that happen?

Presumably because it's a phonetic spelling - in German you pronounce "Danzig" as if there is a "t" in the middle.