3).

post-91995-0-58736200-1424388951_thumb.j

4).

post-91995-0-70146600-1424389141_thumb.j

5).

post-91995-0-54634300-1424389315_thumb.j

6).

post-91995-0-38966000-1424389497_thumb.j

KB, these are excellent as always. However they can't quite match the Buxton shots with added white stuff. Thanks for both postings. When I saw the mention of Bury I thought what a lucky cooincidence as I am currently researching Fred Collinson formerly of Bury FC who was killed at Gallipoli 100 years ago come 15th May. I have been making some good progress mainly through the help of fellow forum dweller Helpjpl who has been brilliant. When I saw the memorial with the names, I thought excellent, Fred will be on there - but alas no. I suspect that having been born in Bolton he may not have qualified. It doesn't detract from a great post. Thanks.

Pete.

Thanks Fattyowls, yes the White sfuff does add a majestic element does it not..... :thumbsup:

Is Fred on any of the Bolton Memorials do you think?

Thanks Fattyowls, yes the White sfuff does add a majestic element does it not..... :thumbsup:

Is Fred on any of the Bolton Memorials do you think?

I hadn't thought of that KB, good point. He lived in Bury for most of his life as far as I can see, and played for Bury apart from the very early part of his football career which began at Everton. He appears to have missed Bury's two cup finals in 1900 and 1903 (which were both won, 4-0 and a record 6-0). Part of the explanation might be his service in South Africa. He read gas meters in the town until the outbreak of war when he joined the 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers. He was killed at Helles 10 days after landing as far as I can see. Which is a long winded way of saying I don't know. I'm not sure of the inclusion criteria.

Pete.

No doubt you have this info from the 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers WW1 Roll of Honour....

Pte Frederick Collinson
Number 2213. Died 15th May 1915 Gallipoli age 41, no known grave, Helles Memorial. Son of James and Sarah Ann Collinson; husband of Mary Collinson of 6 Woolfields Terrace, Bury. Died of wounds. Enlisted Bury. Entered 4A (Egypt 4/5 Novembr 1914 - 18-19 March 1916. Actual date 25th September 1914. 15 Star, British War and Victory Medals.
It is possible for him to be on several memorials.
The Bolton area alone has over 100 memorials....... any idea if he belonged to a particular Church or the street/part of Bolton where he was actually born.....?

No doubt you have this info from the 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers WW1 Roll of Honour....

Pte Frederick Collinson
Number 2213. Died 15th May 1915 Gallipoli age 41, no known grave, Helles Memorial. Son of James and Sarah Ann Collinson; husband of Mary Collinson of 6 Woolfields Terrace, Bury. Died of wounds. Enlisted Bury. Entered 4A (Egypt 4/5 Novembr 1914 - 18-19 March 1916. Actual date 25th September 1914. 15 Star, British War and Victory Medals.
It is possible for him to be on several memorials.
The Bolton area alone has over 100 memorials....... any idea if he belonged to a particular Church or the street/part of Bolton where he was actually born.....?

Thanks KB, I had most of this but not direct from this source; Mark has been of great assistance having posted on him in the Footballers Died thread which got me started. The information that JP(Helpjpl) has kindly found for me doesn't narrow his birthplace down further than Bolton but his baptismal record is for St John in Preston. At the moment I'm looking into his war service to see if the battalion was engaged in Egypt from September 1914 to March 1915 and where they where when they landed at Gallipoli. My intention is to go to Gallipoli sometime in the next couple of years to visit the memorial and perhaps get somewhere close to where he was mortally wounded.

Pete.

Along with three other LF Territorial battalions forming the Lancashire Fusilier Brigade, 1/5th went into camp at Turton, between Bury and Bolton, on 20th August 1914. On 9th September, as part of 42nd (East Lancashire) Division they embarked on SS 'Neuralia' in Southampton bound for Alexandria. Although ostensibly sent to Egypt to guard the Suez Canal against the Turks they did not see any action. They were stationed in various barracks until embarking on H. T. 'Menominee' on 2nd May 1915, arriving at Gallipoli three days later.

Along with three other LF Territorial battalions forming the Lancashire Fusilier Brigade, 1/5th went into camp at Turton, between Bury and Bolton, on 20th August 1914. On 9th September, as part of 42nd (East Lancashire) Division they embarked on SS 'Neuralia' in Southampton bound for Alexandria. Although ostensibly sent to Egypt to guard the Suez Canal against the Turks they did not see any action. They were stationed in various barracks until embarking on H. T. 'Menominee' on 2nd May 1915, arriving at Gallipoli three days later.

Mark, thanks yet again. That is really helpful. I'm hoping to write up Fred's story for one of the football websites for the centenary of his death and am wondering if reading "Hell's Foundations" will add anything to my understanding. I want to read it anyway as it sounds fascinating but it's a matter of timing.

KB, I apologise for hijacking your thread with my quest for Fred. I appreciate all of the contributions and I hope that other viewers won't miss all of the photos.

Pete.

KB, my friend Helpjpl has tracked Fred's birthplace down to 398 Derby Street, Bolton in the Parish of Emmanuel. Thanks again JP.

Pete.

• 8 years later...

The Historic England listing for Bury's WW1 Memorial ( https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1444845) states that the memorial was an afterthought - the original idea for a Memorial was that funds should be raised to add a Children's Ward to the town's Infirmary. Lord Derby laid its Foundation Stone on July 14th 1923. A description and Architect's drawing of the building appeared in the local paper of the time.

293560558_3152381928348087_3800847765095304652_n.jpg