Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does a picture exist of the band aboard HMS Queen Mary?

Medaler

Hi,

Firstly, I hope I am asking these questions in the right place!

From the casualty list of HMS Queen Mary, I notice that there seems to have been 15 musicians aboard from the RMB. My main question is to ask if anyone has ever seen a picture of them. I am sure they would have been very popular with some of the high profile visits the vessel made before the war, so think it possible that there may be one somewhere.

I would also be interested to find out what instruments they played, what their duties consisted of when not involved in practice and entertaining, and what their repertoire is likely to have been.

This seems to be a neglected subject - or is it just that I am reading the wrong books? - If anyone can suggest any titles I would be grateful.

As always, any and all help will be sincerely appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Mike

"The Royal Marines Band Service" in 2 Volumes by John Ambler published by the Royal Marines Historical Society. ISBN 0 9536163 2 0 and ISBN 978 0 9536163 9 8.

Many thanks for that Horatio2. I will see if I can find a copy.

Regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Medaler, it is often the case that bandsmen would serve in the ships' transmitting station (where ranges and deflections were calculated, and through which many orders would be routed) in large ships or fulfill other fire control functions.

tone

Hi Tone,

Many thanks for that insight. As you can probably tell, I am quite new to ships and navies, but am fascinated by this particular vessel and eager to learn. I am kind of working to the theory that, because she was lost with virtually all hands, an insight can be gained into how she operated by studying her crew and gaining some idea of what they all did.

Regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Medaller, spotted your note and thought I'd drop a line to an earlier thread that I had elicited re Invincible's band. I, personally, have seen no other Jutland pertinent ship's band photos.

Hi Jesse,

Strange, I would think they would be amongst the most photogenic items on the ship.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 months later...

One would hope, but I think not. I do have one of Invincible's band, which is fascinating due to the imagery and references to the Falklands. QM is fascinating as probably the most