Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

info wanted on british issue SBR log card!

GWRCo

:D

Hi all,

am enquiring as to wether or not any member can help with some photos of the btisih issue 1st ww SBR log card. This is the one which had the amount of usage written in when the SBR was worn.

I've seen the US issue ones, and have been informed that the british issue ones are completely different, and about 3/4 of the size!

any info would be greatly appreciated, and my thanx in advance.

tim

Not the best quality photo.

Here is the card--folded. The dark part is an adhesive plaster meant for small repairs to the mask. The card itself has a gauze type covering--so the plaster can be removed.

Joe Sweeney

:D

Hi Joe!

That's the very one! many thanx indeed, it's greatly apreciated. It amazes me that there were thousands of these in existence, but you never see them - whereas with the US issue ones, they come up on ebay, etc, quite regularly!

all the best,

tim

American soldiers were allowed to keep more of their issued equipment than British soldiers, and more American masks were made that never saw active service, which makes them more common than their British counterparts.

American soldiers were allowed to keep more of their issued equipment than British soldiers, and more American masks were made that never saw active service, which makes them more common than their British counterparts.

If you do find a SBR, it's more likely to be wartime dated also (and on eBay, it's more likely to be a US issued SBR than a Brit. one).

The CEM's that are encountered these days are most commonly post-war (1921 seems a popular year for some reason ( :huh: )). You do find wartime dated CEMs but they are far rarer than the post-war issues (though nowhere near as rare as the SBRs).

Dave.

£185 - little bit steep, but it is in usually good condition - it even has its rubber exhaust valve intact, all the extras, non-crushed hose, filter not rusted away, clear eye-peices, unfrazzled face piece - lots of little things that make it a good US example

Still a lot of money though. I bought two from the US last year, all complete with flexible hoses, good exhaust valves, complete cards, anti-fog cream and nice personalised cases - £60 each.