Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

942 Coy ASC in Salonika

aggie's friend

continuing with T/4/247053, ASC, initially with 52 Div train , then to Salonika with 10 Div. Departed Salonika in Sept 17 from "942 Coy 10 D.T." Unable to find a thread on 942 company. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Topic meant to be" 942 Coy in Salonika". The suffix "continuing" was mysteriously affixed. Sorry for any confusion.

[i have edited the title UPScot)

Edited by Kate Wills

942 Company ASC Formed April 6th 1917, "Absorbed" (Sorry-Not sure what that means)-May 1st 1917.

Home front initially, then Italy,GHQ Troops.

Ammunition Column (MT) for 302nd Siege Battery, MT Company

Can't immediately see any link to Salonika.

Will look up Michael Young-Army Serice Corps 1902-1918 again.

52nd Division ASC Companies were 217,218,219,220. Served in Egypt 31st Div., Dardanelles, Western Front 52nd Div. & North Persia 13th Div. War Diaries WO95/5154, 4589,2895,4605,4606

52nd Division Train not cross referenced to a specific ASC Company, but War Diary at WO95/4319

10th (Irish) Divisional Train- 475,476,477,478 Companies ASC- War Diaries WO95/4833

475-478 Formed "ex Lowland Division Column". All disbanded July 1919. War Diaries WO95/4833,4577 & 4319. Served in Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, 52nd (Lowland) Division Egypt, and 10th (Irish) Division in Dardanelles & Salonika.

Source: Michael Young-Army Serice Corps 1902-1918

Thanks for the responses and additional information. I'm not sure that the 942 ASC Company Ammunition Column fits--it was the only 942 coy that I could find also. T/4/247053 believed to have been with 477 coy on the way to Salonika. Thanks again for the responses.

10th (Irish) Divisional Train- 475,476,477,478 Companies ASC- War Diaries WO95/4833

475-478 Formed "ex Lowland Division Column". All disbanded July 1919. War Diaries WO95/4833,4577 & 4319. Served in Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, 52nd (Lowland) Division Egypt, and 10th (Irish) Division in Dardanelles & Salonika.

Source: Michael Young-Army Serice Corps 1902-1918

If this man was originally with the 52nd Divisional Train then their details are as follows per the 52nd's Divisional history

The Supply sections went with the Div HQ and their Infantry Brigades to Mudros and Gallipoli

However, the Transport sections remained in Egypt until 13/14th October 1915 when they embarked for Salonica on the Japanese Prince, arriving there on the 19th

At Salonica they were attached to the 10th (Irish) Division and remained with them to the end of the war, when they were demobilized in Egypt.

[With the 10th Division they had moved from Salonica to join the Egyptian Expeditionary Force in September 1917 as the 10th Divisional Train.]

I hope that this is of some help

Michael

Thank you Michael for the post. It was pretty helpful, confirming what is written on form B103 for T4/247053. " Embarked Devonport 8Jun15 on 'Manitou', disembarked Port Said 25 Jun15". Next entries are "Embarked H.T. ' Japanese Prince' Port Said 13Oct 15, disembarked Salonica 19Oct15, No.3 Coy, 52nd Div. Train" (from Ancestory). I believe that No.3 Coy (horse transport) translates to 477 Coy. Is there a conflict (?) in the records for T4/247053, in that (2) separate Military History sheets , category 3:campaigns, show M.E.F. for the time period 7Jun15 to 12Oct15. Could they be using M.E.F. for Middle East Forces? Any additional comments would be appreciated. The initial inquiry about 942 Coy is still of interest. Thanks to all. Regards--

• Admin

The Mediterranean Expeditionary Force was originally formed as GHQ for operations in Gallipoli, initially the only campaign in the Mediterranean. In June 1915 the 52nd Division (as noted above) was part of the MEF. When the Salonika front opened the organisation split into the Dardanelles Army and the Salonika Army.

Ken

Thanks Ken for the additional info, particularly his hospitalization in Malta, of which there was no mention in the records we have in hand. Could any dates for his hospitalization in Malta be determined? And a question about "joined for evacuation, arriving home on 25Sep17"--- by 'home' , does that mean Egypt? T4/247053 was hospitalized in Egypt late Sep17 into Oct 17 (malaria), then to B.H.T.D. 20 Oct 17 at Kantara, then (by family anecdote and indirect implication---nothing listed in his records) to Aqaba late Oct17 to join E.E.F. and Lawrence's British support troops. Sorry to be a nuisance-- trying to define T4/247053's WWI service activities . Again, thanks for the assistance rendered by the readership.

• Admin

Apologies, I had the wrong man (I've just found the right name from your previous posts unfortunately on FMP they run into each other, but no excuses ). Please ignore the service history in my previous post which I've deleted to avoid further confusion.

Looking at the right record I read it as 842 Coy 10 D.T. i.e. 10th Division Train, don't know if that's a better fit.

Sorry once again

Ken

Thanks Ken, but apologies not necessary, the assistance of the more experienced members is always helpful to the cheechako class (me). Even under magnification, the closest fit seemed to be 942, with 842 as a possible. Let's go with 842, and I'll root around to see where that thread leads. Thanks again for your time and effort, Ken. Regards--

Well, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr, I think that your research has brought my inquiry to fruition, and opens my path for further investigation. Thanks for your efforts and assistance. And thanks again to all contributors to this thread. Regards--

• 3 years later...

Hi,Dai Bach y Sowldiwr, Looking for a similar ASC Driver [welsh soldier] that has virtually the same history [from his diary] . Sails from Alexandre 19 Oct 1915, Arrives Salonika 23 Oct. Next Entry   10 Nov Givgal Servio [possibly Gevgeli] then onto Doiran.11 Nov. Retreats back to Salonika camp ? 4 Sept 1917- Malaria in 29th General Hospital Txfd to 27th Gen 25 Sep'15 then Discharged ?? 13 Oct to duty..31 Dec returns to BHTD, Leaves to 825 Coy 22 Jan '16 and then next day to 486 Coy. Some of this I can follow,He mentions various road points [X kilo] for his dropping off points but need help to sort this out.

Gaffa