Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Rifle Brigade

Alec McCudden

Hi.

Can anyone please tell me what the 1st Rifle Brigade were doing in July 1915? I am trying to find some details of a friend's great uncle who was killed then. He's buried in Ypres but I can't seem to find any record of his unit there!

Thanks

Alec

Alec,

Could you please give more details: name etc. Has he a known grave ?. Could possibly be the site featured in the "Forgotten Battlefield" at Boezinge. When I was with the Diggers I think one of the soldiers found was Rifle Brigade.

Jacky

Rifleman Ernest David Jones, Z/2874 died aged 18 on July 6th 1915 and is buried at Talana Farm cemetery, Ypres. I hope this helps!

Alec

Hi Alec,

I happen to be quite interested in that "small but successful" operation (as it is called) in which Ernest Jones fell, on 6 July 1915 and following days. Together with more than 600 other soldiers, on both sides, of who we (The Diggers) have found many dozen in the past 5 years. For more than 60 percent remained on the battlefield. We found 3 of the Rifle Brigade. (In that military operation approx. 80 soldiers of the RB fell, of who 40 remained missing.)

You can find more about this on our website The Diggers www.diggers.be

Go to "Activities", and then to the article "6-9 July 1915 : a small but successful operation, but at what price ?"

There you will also see a photo of Ernest Jones. It has been in front of me here near my computer, for more than 2 years, as a kind of symbol, for all these too young lads. So I put it on the website as well.

Anything else I can do for you ? I happen to have some 10 relevant pages from the Rifle Brigade Reg. History, scanned and digital already. Emailing them to you would be no problem. Or a (digital) photo of Ernest Jones's headstone ? Just give me a shout. (If off Forum : aurel.sercu@pandora.be )

Aurel Sercu