Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book on the P.1888 and P.1903

trajan

12 inches of imperial steel : sword bayonets pattern 1888 and 1903 in British service, by Michael Rose, 2014

I found a reference to this book on GBF - it;s one I haven't heard of before and it doesn't seem to be mentioned on GWF... Has anyone seen this book? Does anyone know anything it? Australian author and publisher, so SS, you have any idea?

Yes it is a book that is only new out, and I have seen it offered for sale on our local ebay website. The author contacted me prior to publishing, asking for photos.

Cheers, S>S

Yes it is a book that is only new out, and I have seen it offered for sale on our local ebay website. The author contacted me prior to publishing, asking for photos.

Cheers, S>S

Did you supply any photographs? I gather that Carl Old Smithy did... I saw that the book was advertised on the Australian e-bay, but I couldn't find an Amazon or publisher / authors web page to learn more, as is possible with the Seitengewehr 14 book.

I'd be interested to know more about this one as I do have a weakness for the P1888 and P1903 series... I did, incidentally, pick up a month or so back what is only my 3rd Turkish find of a P1903, but which has unfortunately had its pommel 'cleaned': I haven't had a chance to go over it properly yet but when I do I'll post it.

TTFN,

Trajan

Aha, seems that you can get it privately from: fam.rose5@bigpond.com

Alternatively, try: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-inches-imperial-steel-book-sword-bayonets-pattern-1888-1903-/281576603801?clk_rvr_id=781516525094&rmvSB=true

Well, certainly seems to be an interesting book - so it'll be nice to have a review / comment on this!

I'm very keen to get a copy of this book. Its second in the queue at the moment. Does anyone know if it focuses more on the bayonet tech side (i.e. different patterns, measurements etc) or whether it is more about unit markings, photos of bayonets in use etc? I generally prefer the latter.

Cheers, J

I'm very keen to get a copy of this book. Its second in the queue at the moment. Does anyone know if it focuses more on the bayonet tech side (i.e. different patterns, measurements etc) or whether it is more about unit markings, photos of bayonets in use etc? I generally prefer the latter.

I've e-mailed the author requesting a scan of the contents page as that should help indicate what's in it! If/when he replies, I'll post details

Trajan

The author has sent me the following images...

post-69449-0-18087500-1424687183_thumb.j post-69449-0-07403800-1424687197_thumb.j post-69449-0-14930000-1424687211_thumb.j

And some more...

post-69449-0-39036000-1424687282_thumb.j post-69449-0-75485800-1424687295_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Been meaning to get this book but something else always crops up.

Michael was also kind enouh to ask permission to use images in it before ppublishing, must put it top of the list after for next purchase after a rare german bayonet.

Been meaning to get this book but something else always crops up.

Michael was also kind enouh to ask permission to use images in it before ppublishing, must put it top of the list after for next purchase after a rare german bayonet.

Same here! I have been meaning to settle down and sort that one out and order it - and a week or more goes by... BUT, well done on the requests for the book, though Aleck! Well deserved as you certainly have so nice stuff...

And I am REALLY looking forward to seeing that bayonet you have on hold - from the way you described it on SS's thread, sounds almost like a bit Newkie Bigg Marketish on a winter's night (joke that none of the others will understand!), but from what I do know, you got yourself a good one there! The real mystery though is - what IS the bayonet that SS is in a quandry over? If not an experimental S.98, then a trials version of something?

TTFN, marrer,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for help with images. My personal collection is quite small so I had to rely on fellow collector’s assistance.

Trajan suggested that I should post my first entry in this topic.

The images I gave Trajan were all black and white.

The PDF manuscript I print from is in colour but the actual book is in black and white.

So I tried to pick black and white images to avoid confusion.

I am currently working on a similar project about sword bayonet pattern 1907 in British service.

So I will no doubt be badgering you for help later on :devilgrin:

Cheers

Michael

My copy arrived yesterday, and I have only now had a chance to look at it (the snags of a full-time job, late fatherhood - and a miniscule flat!). Anyway, just a couple of points for now.

To begin with, it was good to see that the list of those who responded to requests for photographs in the compilation of the work included some who are or seem to be GWF members...

... Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for help with images. My personal collection is quite small so I had to rely on fellow collector’s assistance.

I am currently working on a similar project about sword bayonet pattern 1907 in British service...

But it was also sad to learn from the author via a PM of those GWF members who failed for one reason or another to assist in its compilation despite requests for photographs... A question of collectors versus hoarders, methinks! Let's hope for better co-operation with his second work - for which reason I have already offered him my RAF P.1907 bayonet data! (I know, sounds like "goody-goody two-shoes" - but I am a great believer in sharing data for the common weal!)

Secondly, on first glance-through it does really seem to be a veritable tour de force, as the author has clearly amassed an enormous amount of relevant official and other data, seemingly all of what is publicly but not necessarily easily available. I for one never expected that a book on P.1888 and 1903's could ever be as long as 242 A4 size pages! I have liked so far in particular the section on the bending and testing, not the least because that is - my opinion only - relevant to an understanding of the German Abnahmenstempel.

It is quite possible that one of other of the GWF bayonet battalion (well, perhaps more like a company of "We few, we happy brothers"!?) will find the odd factual error - or even a better example of what is reported or shown in the book: such is inevitable when reviewing any scholarly work - but, personally, it is a very nice piece of work and well-worth having, despite the freight charges (in my case as much as the book IIRC!)

Trajan

PS: Naturally, I make these comments on an purely independent basis.

• 4 weeks later...

My copy arrived a few days ago. I have only just started dipping into the 252 pages the book contains, so it's going to take a while to get through it.

It seems full of information taken from source and has much new information that I have not seen in print before.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in these sword bayonets.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

My copy arrived a few days ago. I have only just started dipping into the 252 pages the book contains, so it's going to take a while to get through it.

It seems full of information taken from source and has much new information that I have not seen in print before.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in these sword bayonets.

Absolutely agree! I personally think that the layout can be improved a tad to make it easier to find things, and also make it easier to sit down and just read through - I haven't read every page yet, but have gone through most of it in three or four sittings. But even after a month or so of having a copy I keep discovering new bits in it that are extremely informative, not to say very useful, such as the appendices on unit-markings - and which bits I have used with appropriate credit in various posts! Nice to have some accurate facts around and so all credit to the author for what represents a very intensive piece of research!

Trajan

• 1 year later...

After some delays i finally managed to publish a follow up. 12 inches of imperial steel in the service of the Raj. Sword bayonets pattern 1888 and 1903 in Indian service. Smaller than first one at 150 pages, It is bound in a soft cover with a non gloss laminate cover for added protection. It is describing sword bayonets and scabbards pattern 1888 and 1903 in Indian service. This includes the unique Indian variations of scabbards for sword bayonets pattern 1888 and 1903 and the early amount of bayonets, scabbards and spares delivered from Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield to India. One chapter consist of markings and it does include a complete list of the unique Indian regimental markings. This book is mainly based on primary sources including the quite unknown Indian List of Change in War Material and instructions for armourer (India) 1911 as well as a number of other official government publications from the period. I found it a pretty hard to subject to research but in the end you just have to send it to the printer..

cover.jpg

Might I ask where this (and the previous edition) is available? I have not tracked one down.

If it is not deemed appropriate to post it here feel free to PM me!

Cheers

Chris (who just had a birthday and has some book credit both $ and permission to add to shelves!)

Hi,

I will respond on a PM since I am not entirely sure what the guidelines are for posting email etc. on line. I am very keen on feedback from anyone who actually ends up reading he books. I had some very productive feedback on my first book and it helps a lot when you want improve you work.

Cheers 

Michael

I for one are interested in obtaining a copy of the first book but it doesn't seem available any where outside Australia.

Can it be ordered direct from you  and at what cost to get it to UK?

Feel free to PM me if necessary.

Alan

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Are these books still in publication? If so, where? My quick Google & eBay searches haven’t surfaced any. I’m unfortunately just learning of them & dearly would like copies. 

1 hour ago, RoamingChad said:

Are these books still in publication? If so, where? My quick Google & eBay searches haven’t surfaced any. I’m unfortunately just learning of them & dearly would like copies. 

First of all- just buy the whole set.

to answer you question, you need to contact Rose himself - he gets enough in the queue and then prints if he does not have stock

i believe you can PM him above, he goes by @MRDK1

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16
Third party email address removed

Be forewarned- it is a stunning reference book, but for rather serious collecting rather than a “story” unlike a lot of other reference books.

lots of serious diagrams, measurements and relatively “boring stuff” if you are not so inclined. 

if you are inclined, it’s amazing - very thorough and I am in debted to the whole series as it has saved me a lot of peso’s in the long term

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

• Admin

Perhaps you can PM navydoc16 to obtain the email address for Michael Rose. 

Hi,

Just hang in there for a little bit longer.

I am working on getting my sold out  books onto Amazon print on demand. This is a bit of a process that require certain software etc. This will result in less profit for me but less postage for the byers and less overall hassle. I am living in Australia and the postage to the rest of the world tend to be expensive.

The release on Amazon will initially include:

12  inches of imperial steel. Sword bayonets pattern 1888 & 1903 in British service.

17  inches of imperial steel. Sword bayonet pattern 1907 in British service. Volume 1 1908-1914.

In then hope to publish this volume later this year on amazon.

17  inches of imperial steel. Sword bayonet pattern 1907 in British service. Volume 2 1914-1947.

The two books about Patt 1888/03 and 1907 in Indian service will have to wait until I have sold the last few hard copies.

I am not sure I am allowed to post my email in forum but it is in every book before the introduction.

Alle the best

Cheers

Michael

1 hour ago, MRDK1 said:

Hi,

Just hang in there for a little bit longer.

I am working on getting my sold out  books onto Amazon print on demand. This is a bit of a process that require certain software etc. This will result in less profit for me but less postage for the byers and less overall hassle. I am living in Australia and the postage to the rest of the world tend to be expensive.

The release on Amazon will initially include:

12  inches of imperial steel. Sword bayonets pattern 1888 & 1903 in British service.

17  inches of imperial steel. Sword bayonet pattern 1907 in British service. Volume 1 1908-1914.

In then hope to publish this volume later this year on amazon.

17  inches of imperial steel. Sword bayonet pattern 1907 in British service. Volume 2 1914-1947.

The two books about Patt 1888/03 and 1907 in Indian service will have to wait until I have sold the last few hard copies.

I am not sure I am allowed to post my email in forum but it is in every book before the introduction.

Alle the best

Cheers

Michael

Evening Michael, 

Were any of these updated with newer editions, or are they all current from the first publishings without amendment?

Kind regards

g