Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troopships 1915

Guest dennis corbett

Guest dennis corbett

I would like to try to identify the ship or ships which transported a particular corps to France from Southampton at the end of March 1915. Is there a source of information available at all please>

It is most likely but not assured that this information will be in the war diary for the particular unit. If not there's few resources other than guesswork.

Roop

Guest dennis corbett

Thanks for the thought. I have the war diaries and unfortunately they begin on the day they landed in France. I understand this is normal, and that war diaries were officially kept from the day they arrived on foreign soil. Cheers.

Dear Dennis

If you look in Ray Westlakes book British Battalions on the Western Front 1915

he quite often says which Troopship the Battalion came over on.

All the best

Paul.

I have the war diaries and unfortunately they begin on the day they landed in France. I understand this is normal, and that war diaries were officially kept from the day they arrived on foreign soil

A passing thought: Only a guess, but it may well be worth checking the war diaries for the whole division - inc. the Quartermaster's diaries - it might start slightly earlier.

- this assumes that the unit went across as part of a larger formation.

regards

doogal

Dennis

I know the Archimedes was a troopship used from Southampton to Le Havre and in early March 1915 to carry elements of 11 Heavy Brigade RGA [carrying men horses and 4.7 inch guns]. Please let me know if you would like to know any more about the Archimedes.

Alan

Alan

If you have information about Archimedes I would be interested. Got a photo copy 4 Gordon Highlanders War Diary yesterday. my Grandfather Arthur Percy Spark was serving with them at this time.

Diary says 19 February 1915:- Battalion left Bedford in their Trains.............. arrived at Southampton abd embarked on transport Archimedes sailed at 7pm. Landed at Havre 12 noon marched to No2 Rest Camp