Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 german soldiers unknown burial ground

Guest Trench Boezinge

Guest Trench Boezinge

Hello,

My girlfriends grandfather, 77 years old, lives in Zandvoorde(Zonnebeke) since he was born, he often tells me stories of battlefield finds.

Since he knows I'm interested in the first worldwar he told me this story.

His father who was a farmer lived before and after the war in Zandvoorde in a farmhouse.

Helping his father when he was young plowing the acre right of their farm, they found 3 german bodies in the ground.

They re-burried the bodies next to a shellhole right of that acre and planted 3 willows very close if not on the emplacement. (he never told if this was symbolic)

They are no other markings or cross to show it.

Only him and I know about it, and now everyone.

What should I do knowing the story and knowing the right emplacement of that gravesite.

I would apreciate all response to this topic.

Remember that this ground is no more his propertie.

I'm sure everyone on this site agrees with giving every human at least a grave or a funeral.

I would contact the German War Graves people at:

http://www.volksbund.de/

Advise them of the location, details, etc. before there is a chance of someone going to find them for any other reasons. This is not an accusation against any forum members but we do get a lot of visitors and there is no way to vouch for everyone.

Hopefully they will take the necessary action to recover the remains and protect the find.

Ralph

I would be very interested in hearing what sort of reply you receive, thanks for bringing the story to light.

Ralph

Joffrey,

Would you please send me a copy of your inquiry at Deutscher Volksbund fuer Kriegsgraeberfuersorge per email. I know of two staff members who could expedite these matters; they helped me with other problems very speedily and I'd like to send them a copy of your letter; it always is much better to draw all registers in order to accomplish a delicate subject

Guest Trench Boezinge

Yesterday, I went to the burial of the 25 german soldiers in Langemark.

After the ceremony I had a little talk with Dr. Erik Claeys about this story.

He would talk of it with Generalmajor a. D. Manfred H. Würfel, Landesvorstand Nordrhein-Westfalen des Volksbundes Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsörge,

I gave him my emailadres and phonenumber.

I hope to have news in the upcoming days.

Still no news from the email I send on 6th november...

This is a great story. If althe pieces come together, and the bodies are moved, I'd hope you could post a few pictures for those of us not local. That would rock!!! Sorry, be really cool. ;)

It would be fantastic if the men could e identified and their remains laid to rest under a cross instead of as an unknown soldier. However, at least it would appear that they are to be given the burial they deserve. I look forward to hearing the outcome.

Ralph