Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone tell me what this is?

KIRKY

But for the pin through the brass tube it looks like the fuze (fuse) from a 14 pattern German rifle grenade but cannot say for certain?

TT

looks like the lead looking part , the top has a thread at the bottom that appears to not be threaded in to anything , it doesn't look to belong to the brass item , I saw this myself and couldn't figure it out.

It is a Grenade Rifle 1914 Fuze. The lead is an alloy used by the Germans as a replacement for brass or steel that they would use in low velocity ammunition that did not need the strength to withstand the added pressures of firing thus reducing the use of metals in short supply! As the nose of the fuze has not extended then the item has not been fired and even though the magazine in the base appears empty the detonator may well be live. A classic example of Buyer Beware!

If the seller does not know what it is then he should not be either selling it nor touching it in the first place. An obvious Darwin Award candidate! Looking at this and his other items if he is in UK (I cannot tell on the abridged ebay on my phone!)then I would not be surprised if he did not attract the interest of a law enforcement organisation judging by the highly dodgy items he is selling!

Rod

Rod,

Would they extract the pin before inserting it into the grenade body? I assume by doing so the nose of the fuze then pops up arming the device. Upon impact the nose "goes in" striking a charge and thus detonating the grenade?

TT

TT,

No, on firing the nose is released by the set back force (the same as you feel when accelerating your car but many times stronger), moving back a collar, that releases a locking ball. The locking ball holds the nose in position during storage and transit and keeps the striker out of line with the percussion cap. A spring then moves it forwards at the same time the striker pellet rotates bringing the striker in line with the detonator percussion cap. On impact the force overcomes the spring and the striker is driven backwards into the percussion cap with the resulting flame causing the detonator to function!

I would accompany this with a picture but my work computer will not let me! If you go to this page there is a diagram of the fuze both armed and safe. http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_grenades_all.html#Tige1914

Hope this helps,

Rod

Many thanks for that.

TT