Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Graves - Jan 1917

kissack

I am renewing my investigations into my Great Uncle George and have a couple of questions for those of you here who have far more experience than me in WWI matters.

1. Is it likley/common for their to be a differnece between a recorded date of death and an appropriate entry in the units war diaries?

2. Does any one have any large scale maps of the RCR area of operations in Jan 1917 (Vimy/La Folie). I hope to visit the area again, now I knwo so much more.

The Canadian records (that I got from Canada) record George dying on 20 Jan 1917 (Casualty list a303. Repatriated from Base [what exactly does that mean?], admitted 20/1/17, KIA)

The CWGC concurs.

The RCR diary reports a death on 21st - could this be George?

Private Johnson (for example) is recorded at CWGC and there is a death in the diaires for 2nd Feb. a nice reconcilable event? However looking at the diaries and the burials at ecoivres it seems a day or two drift is common? Of course deaths could relate to previous injuries, but looking at this period it seems not uncommon to have a days drift between diaries and date of death as recorded! What have others found?

--

Allan

PS how can i post an image to add it to a message, or do I have to link to another site?

Allan

Most war diary entries for the day start at noon and end at noon the next day so it maybe George that is mentioned. If he had died after 12pm on the 20th and before 12pm on the 21st it would be reported as the 21th in the Diary. I have found it confusing myself nailing down dates of death but I would say the CWGC is correct.

To post a photo when you finish writing your post hit the "img" button if the picture is in your documents select the photo and and enter your post. To add a web page hit the "http://" button and enter the address. Hope this helps

Regards

N.S.Regt.

Thank you N.S.Regt. that is helpful information about the diaries, I wasnt aware of that.

I am sure the CWGC date is good as it matches the Canadian records I have...

I still cant master this IMG insert as it wants me to enter a URL, or is that the only way to do it - to point at a n image on another website?.

post-4-1099778087.jpg

Allan

I am terribly Sorry But you can go to the "Browse" button below the post window to add files from your computer. Looks like it is the 20th then since it is confirmed in the service records. If you want to try to post a picture go to the section a place to play and try it there. Again sorry for making more wore for you.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

NS Regt,

No need to apologise, the image issue is a side issue, but I am grateful for your assistance as i have tried several times without success attach an image.

Your information about diary timings is very helpful.

post-4-1099777950.jpg