Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 1914 lithgow hooked quillion bayonet- advice required

ojfishlock

Good evening everyone, I have recently found out I may be in possession of a WW1 1914 hooked quillion Bayonet. I am looking for some sort of guidance from some more experienced collectors that will inform me honestly of what I actually own, without having a motive of owning it at a cheap price. I don't necessarily wish to sell it but I would like to be a bit more educated on its value etc I have researched a lot and the information varies. Attached is some pictures and any opinions and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

O.J

post-120238-0-70392600-1423559658_thumb.

post-120238-0-12175700-1423559681_thumb.

post-120238-0-03430300-1423559735_thumb.

Well I am no expert but it is Austrailian made by Lithgow in 1914. Belonged to a unit from the 2nd Military District (someone will tell you which State) and being 1914 may have seen service at Gallipoli? As to value if a genuine hookk to an Austrailian with speculation as to service in Galipolli alot. One UK dealer seems to price his hookys at 600 to 800 plus.

The frog is not WW1 I think.

TT

Welcome OJ,

The person who needs to comment on this is our cobber SS down under - he has posted a lot on his now-locked Australian Bayonets' thread at: http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=189766 and given the time difference is probably sleeping right now. As far as I can see it seems pukka enough, and in nice condition, but SS and others will undoubtedly comment more.

Yours has the serial marking for the 2nd Military District = but the thread will explain all.

As for value, well it varies - an Australian collector would pay more than a Brit!

Trajan

PS: TT's came in while I was writing - his price range seems appropriate although I have bought for less

Thank you. I too am an Australian I should of stated that apologies. The link to that forum brings me back here, Im not sure why. So its WW2

The frog I mean, is WW2?

Yes, the frog is WW2 era, from the Web Equipment 1937 Pattern. During the Great War this bayonet would have been mounted in either a Pattern 1908 Web Equipment frog or, as Australian issue, an Australian 'Pattern 1915' leather frog - see the excellent Karkee Web site for all things infantry equipment related.

The bayonet is a fine example - IMO current prices with dealers in the UK would be around £500 to £600 in this condition. One minor point - it would appear that the wood grips have been refitted/replaced at some point as the securing nuts and bolts have been reversed - the nuts should be on the other side of the handle and the slotted bolt heads should be on the side shown in the photos.

All the best,

Manxy

Good evening everyone, I have recently found out I may be in possession of a WW1 1914 hooked quillion Bayonet.

OJ,

Welcome to the Forum.

Based on the markings shown on your bayonet's ricasso, you have an Australian Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonet with Hooked Quillon; Lithgow-A9 made by the Australian ' Lithgow ' Company between 1913-15.

This being a rare bayonet, as only some 8,000 were made.

The ' 2MD ' marking on the crossguard, refers to the 2nd Military District - Eastern Command, New South Wales.

Without knowing any markings on your bayonet's scabbard, and just from your photograph, the small teardrop shaped frog stud would have been on the earlier No.1 Mk II Lithgow scabbards, which would match with your bayonet's date.

The wooden grips on the early Lithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet's, as is your's, should be walnut.

A genuine Lithgow Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonet with the Hooked Quillon attached, remembering that only 8,000 were manufactured, would be considered a rarity by Collectors, and as such would command a premium price, and it would not surprise me that its value could be 1000 British Pounds, or US$1500.

Regards,

LF

Good evening everyone, I have recently found out I may be in possession of a WW1 1914 hooked quillion Bayonet.

OJ,

Could you take a good look over your bayonet and scabbard, carefully looking for any other markings, and let us know if you find anything ?

On a technical note, your bayonet's overall length should be 552 mm, the blade's length 432 mm, and the scabbard length 457 mm approx.

Regards,

LF

Welcome OJ,

The person who needs to comment on this is our cobber SS down under - he has posted a lot on his now-locked Australian Bayonets' thread at: http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=189766 and given the time difference is probably sleeping right now. As far as I can see it seems pukka enough, and in nice condition, but SS and others will undoubtedly comment more.

... The link to that forum brings me back here, Im not sure why.

Yes that link was malformed - what you need is http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=189766&page=7, where I am now on a thread that has become unlocked!

Given the 1914 date, markings and overall condition I think this would sell for at least GBP1000 (or the Australian equivalent). Lovely bayonet, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the responses.

The length is 552mm, the blade to the base of the hook (start of the handle) is 432mm and the scabbard is 445mm that is measure without the handle just the blade length, is that correct? With the handle it is 567mm.

and yes actually there is another stamp on the scabbard at the very top picture below

post-120238-0-61319600-1423615458_thumb.

Thank you for the responses.

The length is 552mm, the blade to the base of the hook (start of the handle) is 432mm and the scabbard is 445mm that is measure without the handle just the blade length, is that correct? With the handle it is 567mm.

and yes actually there is another stamp on the scabbard at the very top picture below

OJ,

The measurements sound correct.

The stampings on the scabbard throat shown in your post #10 are hard to read, can you make out if any of those numbers match with any of the numbers stamped on the bayonet's crossguard ?

Also, are there any markings on the metal top of the bayonet ( the pommel ) and or stamped in the leather on the back of the scabbard next to the stitched seam ?

Regards,

LF

And nothing on the top that I can see, but stamped on the scabbard is lithgow 1915..... wow that was hard to see, you certainly know what you are looking for

And nothing on the top that I can see, but stamped on the scabbard is lithgow 1915..... wow that was hard to see, you certainly know what you are looking for

It is not critical that the numbers on the crossguard and scabbard throat do not match, but it would have been a bonus had they matched, but it still looks like both are 2MD.

Great news about the ' Lithgow ' scabbard marking and the 1915 date.

In all, you have a superb and valuable set, congratulations.

Regards,

LF

• 11 months later...

...Based on the markings shown on your bayonet's ricasso, you have an Australian Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonet with Hooked Quillon; Lithgow-A9 made by the Australian ' Lithgow ' Company between 1913-15. ...

An alert really LF to what is showing at: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225837

Nice find. You are probably looking at $2000+ AUD.

Rgds

Tim D