Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking map Potijze April 1915

dobbin

I am trying to pinpoint the area where L C P Scaife was wounded on 25th April 1915 4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.I have attached a copy of the Unit War Diary relating to that incident on that date. Could anyone please help with a more detailed map showing positions of The Northumberland Fus Battalions on or around that date.

. CClive

post-20087-0-99340200-1423505720_thumb.j

The National Library of Scotland has all the WW1 Trench Maps available online.

You can also view them with zoomable overlays of modern Google or Bing maps.

http://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

The National Library of Scotland has all the WW1 Trench Maps available online.

If only that were true ,Tom, it'd probably be the only site on the internet that I ever visited! :whistle:

Dave

CROONAERT, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

If only that were true ,Tom, it'd probably be the only site on the internet that I ever visited! :whistle:

Dave

Dave,

Can you explain further?

Are you implying that 'all' the trench maps are not 'available' there?

I'm making the assumption that all the 'official' maps are available.

They claim:

"British First World War Trench Maps, 1915-1918

Maps of the Western Front in the Great War depicting British and German trenches."

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

Dave,

Are you implying that 'all' the trench maps are not 'available' there?

Exactly that, Tom.

They might have 'all' the trench maps that they have available on there, but , looking at their list of available maps, they are a long, long way from having copies of 'all' the official trench maps that can be found out there. Their list - impressive that it may be - is only a small fraction of 'all' the maps that there are (for example, after only a quick look, I can see that I have about 25 or so (at least) sat in my own collection that are not on their list... ).

To be able to claim having 'all' the British official trench maps, their list will have to be at least 10 times the size that it is!

Dave.

Thanks Tom and Dave I will take a look. The man I am tracing Lt Scaife had a daughter now in her 90s she knew her father was injured and subsequently wounded on 2 more occasions but didn't have the facts. All the discussions on the war has made her very enthusiastic to learn more about it. It all started when she and my wife dressed as V A Ds sang in concert last year to commemorate 1914. I am working on a website for her as she has a collection of very interesting material and stacks of photos taken by her father during the war mainly of fallen comrades. She wants to preserve them and his memory. I was trying to pinpoint the area where Lt Scaife was rendered speechless which is only the beginning of it all.

Colin.

Thanks Dave.

Your knowledge of maps is well known. I learn a lot each day.

Colin,

I can only hope that you got some guidance to POTIJZE.

I've attached a small snippet from the NLS map for guidance (North East of Ypres).

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

post-87018-0-54468600-1423752957_thumb.j

Thanks Dave I picked up this post ( link below) by member Whitestarline I am trying to download maps at present. I don't think in fact there is a trench map on there that relates to Potijze in April 1915 but I thought I would pass this on in case you or others might be interested although you most likely already know of it. I am going to download some any way when I can work my way through doing it.

Thanks Dave for that map much appreciated. As I may have said i want a background map to set my web site off on the opening page.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=216595&hl=%2Btrench+%2Bmaps+%2Bypres+%2B1915#entry2142028

Colin.

A trench map will not tell you a battalion's location, anyway, unless you can determine that location more precisely than the description given. Colin, have you looked at the diary of the brigade under whose command the battalion came, or the division under whose command the brigade came? They often include better maps, often marked up with a unit's position.

Colin,

Is something like this any good to you as background?

post-20576-0-18780900-1423934251_thumb.j

Noon 25th April 1915

National Archives Catalogue Ref: WO 153/141

Phil

Chris thanks for the suggestion I am glad of your help. I will look first at Jain and Bernard's Diary List as I have paid for the Battalion Diaries digitised and about £3 I seem to remember so that's nothing much. I was trying to keep the lady's costs down who I am helping and perhaps I am being too picky. Phil I think that will fit the bill as near as I am going to get I imagine noon on the 25th is pretty close when reading the diary suggests L C P Scaife's concussion occurred late afternoon. I will look further anyway and if I do find anything with more detailed information I will provide a link to it later. Is there any problem on using that map on my site, should I mention the source ?

Colin.

Colin,

I shouldn't imagine there is a problem with using the map on a personal web site, especially if you quote the NA reference as the source.

Phil