Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold Auten VC DSO

Guest Young Lieutenant

Guest Young Lieutenant

Hello all,

I am conducting a little research into this distinguished and remarkable officer, having recently discovered that he went to my former school in London, where I now serve as a CCF officer.

Harold Auten was an RNR officer awarded the DSO and the VC for service on the Q-ships. His was the last Victoria Cross awarded to the Royal Navy during the Great War. He wrote the first book to be published on the Q-ship war, which was very well received. After the Great War, he emigrated to the United States, becoming Executive Vice-President of the Rank Organisation. During the Second World War he served in New York, routing the trans-Atlantic convoys.

After the war he lived in Bushkill in Monroe County, Pennsylvania. Here he ran a theatrical company and later a bar. He died virtually penniless and was buried in an unmarked grave on the Steele family plot. The grave has subsequently and recently been marked by the town.

Such is the information I have - what I am after, though, is any further information which anyone might have, particularly concerning his later life. I note some members have posted concerning Auten before - would they care to do so again and in greater detail?

My plan is to produce a brief biography of Auten for the school, which is completely oblivious to his story. Such a man should be honoured by those schoolboys which have come after him, and it is my aim to encourage this.

Many thanks

Who's Who 1947

Auten, Captain Harold, V.C. 1918 : DSC : For services in command of HMS Stock Force, a "mystery ship" 30.......

post-23-1099769752.jpg

It appears that much of the story that you have written in your original message came from David Harvey's book on the VC, which was based on photos and biographical material that I sent him. About five years ago David asked me to take a picture of Auten's grave in the Sand Hill Cemetary in Bushkill. I was quite willing to do that because I grew up only about 10 miles from Bushkill and Harold Auten had been a good friend of my father's. When I was a teenager I actually met Auten a number of times and am proud to say that I had his medal group in my hands on at least two occasions.

When I went to take the photo of his grave I was quite surprised to find that his grave could not be found. Fortunately, my mother-in-law, whose family are buried in the Sand Hill Cemetary, was able to make contact with the retired caretaker of the cemetary who remembered where Auten's unmarked grave was and I took a photo of the unmarked grass area of his grave for Harvey's book. Somewhere in my records I have some extra photos of his grave and the cemetary and photocopies of the obituary and funeral announcement that appeared in the Pocono Record, the local daily newspaper. I also have photos of the antique shop that he ran for some time and of the former Bushkill Catholic Church that he donated to the community (it later became a US Park Service information center.)

When I was young Auten ran a theatrical playhouse (if I remember correctly, it was called the Bushkill Playhouse), and was quite successful for some time. He was very active in the Bushkill community and served with my father on the Monroe County Economic Development Committee.

He evidentally, though, made some bad investiments and eventually lost the playhouse. As you mention he did run a bar and in the later years of his life, an antique shop in Bushkill. He died penniless and there was no money to pay for his funeral. The Steele family had a large number of plots at the cemetary and offered to allow one of their plots to be used. As a result of the publication of the story of his unmarked grave, both in Harvey's book and the local newspapers, his grave is now suitably marked. Next time I visit the Bushkill area I hope to be able to take photos of his marked grave.

Auten has a daughter somewhere in the UK and she recently (within the last couple of years) sold two sets of his miniature medals at one of the major auction houses in England (seems like it was either Spink or DNW.)

Regards. Dick

From "A Popular History of the Great War" Vol V "The Year of Victory 1918". Page 563.

"Lieutenant H. Auten D.S.C. of the R.N.R., won his V.C. when in command of H.M.S. Stock Force. On July 30 1918, she was torpedoed by an enemy submarine. Serious damage was done, practically everything, save only the nerves of the captain and his crew, being injured. As arranged previously, however, a panic-party left the ship in great haste and began to row wildly about in their little boat. This manoeuvre tempted the German submarine to come nearer, and when she was near enough Auten let fly with his two available guns. The shots took effect, and at length the submarine was sunk. The Stock Force was badly damaged, but she was kept afloat for some little time, and only sank when the crew were being rescued by torpedo boats. This was described as "one of the finest examples of coolness, discipline and good organisation in the history of Q ships.""

I hope this is of interest to you.

Nigel

Guest Young Lieutenant

Thanks to everyone who has posted - all good stuff and very gratefully received.

As a point of interest, Auten's book, '"Q" Boat Adventures', was republished in the UK last year and apparently is still a fantastic read and a nice insight into the Special Service.

Entry in The Register of the Victoria Cross:

AUTEN

Harold

Unit/Force: Royal Naval Reserve

Other Decorations: D.S.C.

Place/ Date of Deed: HMS Stock Force, English Channel -30th July 1918

Place/Date of Birth: Leatherhead, Surrey - 22nd August 1891

Place/Date of Death: Bushkill, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. - 3rd October 1964

Town/County Connections: Leatherhead, Surrey; Lewisham, London

Remarks: Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society; Orange of Nassau (Neatherlands); Legion of Merit (U.S.A.); served with the RNR again during the Second World War, routeing convoys shipping leaving New York for Europe. Author of Q Boat Adventures.

John