Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hand Fighting Knife

Yeomanterry

Hello all, this Knife was found in a house of a man who fought in WW1 in France, It was all together with his medals in a box. Any clues to its identity, it does not have a hole in the tang to make it a Bayonet and is sharp both sides of the blade. Unusual handle with the finger moulded grip. Angled Belt Clip on Scabbard. Blade is 8" long. Many thanks

Terry

Any help would be good.

post-49512-0-29172300-1423082490_thumb.j

Yes, that's not a WW1 blade but indeed one from an M3.

Trajan

Terry

I think you will find this is Italian, 1930's or later. The slanted belt loop is typical of the scabbards of the Italian M38 folding bayonets. Google Images for Italian fighting knife WW2 - there are lots of similar hilts.

Mike

I see what you mean Mike - although that blade in the OP is uncannily like an M3 for my liking as are a few of those 'Italian fighting knife WW2'... I also noticed that only a few of the 'Italian fighting knife WW2 period' blades had that false edge, and does that did have one varied from this M3 type of false edge to a less 'refined' version... And who's to say that some of those advertised as such are not mock-ups using an M3 blade? I guess what we need from Yeomanterry are blade dimensions (width at ricasso, length, length of cutting edge, length of false edge) - then I ask some friends who really like these things!

Thank you all for looking, Trajan, spot on, I had also asked my friend who has a big collection of Bayonets etc that he puts on show, n

he has come back and agrees. He calls it a Black Shirt Knife. It has no emblem for the local Italian fighters but is of that ilke.

Surprised to find one on Ebay without Scabbard and someone asking $300 for it. Is this about right?

many thanks

Terry

MVSN (Italian Acroymyn for Militia Volunteers for National Security) knife - this was the Italian Fascist milita "Black Shirts" (equivalent to SA )

Battalion size units (650 men) were attached as assualt elements to infantry divisions. Also were 3 complete divisions all were lost in North Africa.

Were issued to every member - some were made with finger grooves in handle