Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC Question

Guest C729LEE

Chaps

The first thing when collecting medals for me to do is to get the info from MIC's.

On the latest batch, and on some earlier ones that I dug up, there is a number in the name box next to the left hand top corner.

ie Bryan, Frank of the Welsh Regt Pte 27546

Inniskillen Fus 21476

Medals; VM & WM

Above Bryan, half in the box "41"

Though I have 3 x Lincs Regt MIC's with "10" in the top left corner. At first I thought it may have been Battn No. as no Bttn is listed.

Pte Billy Stier of the South Staffs Regt served with the 7th in 2B or the Balkans campaign, "38" is in the top corner of his MIC.

Is it a relevant piece of info?

Lee in Lincs

Hi Lee,

Without seeing the MIC card its a bit difficult but I think that the numbers you are seeing are the regimental order of precedence numbers. These numbers are the original numerical identity of the unit prior to 1881, and are based on when the units were originally founded.

The Lincolnshire Regiment is number 10, the South Staffs is 38 and the Welsh Regt is 41.

I have found that if you have a John Smith say, then these will usually be placed in order of precedence on the MICS.

Hope this helps.

Alie.

Chris/Alie,

Brilliant, you do learn something new every day. I only really just noticed these numbers as most are scribbled quickly and are not particularly well positioned in the top left corner, and mostly very faint.

As usual you've done me proud.

Great forum.

Lee in Lincs