Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sjt Evan Davies 19th Service Bn Glamorgan Pioneers Welsh Regiment

Jerry B

I am trying to trace any information I can on Sjt Evan Davies #33542 of the 19th Service Battalion, Glamorgan Pioneers The Welsh Regiment. I know little about him apart from him being entitled to a 14/15 star trio though I know many in this unit were from Glamorgan, even though it was formed in Colwyn Bay. It is possible he was a pre war TF or regular soldier though I have yet to find any proof of this, merely supposition as he was a L/Sjt when he went to France in December 1915 with the Bn.

I know from his medal roll that he was for a period attached to 11 Corps ReF before returning to 19th Bn Welsh R. Does anyone know what this refers to?

Another question of a more general nature, how many sergeants would there be in a Pioneer bn and would they all be allowed to wear a beard? or is that a more ceremonial thing in peace time for the senior Sjt only?

Thanks for any help or information.

• 6 months later...

Not sure if you are still interested but I am researching a local man who joined the 19th Glamorgan Pioneers (Welch Regiment). Their war diaries are on Ancestry and at the National Archives and make fascinating reading, especially the action at Mametz Wood.