Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of St. Julien

Northern Soul

Reading the War Diary of the 7th Bn. Canadian Inf. for 24th April, 1915 I came across this passage in one of the Appendixes:

"About 6 a.m. the enemy made a direct frontal attack on my trench from D.7.B.5.7. which we beat back. About half an hour later, they made another, this time with a long line of men dressed I British uniforms covering their advance, the enemy behind pretending to drive them along with their bayonets towards us. As there was now a Highland Major in command of my trench, I waited for his orders to fire. Not receiving any, and as the enemy were getting within 50 yards and outnumbering us, I should say 10 to 1, I ordered the men myself to fire. This Major (I do not know his name or Battalion) ordered the men to cease firing, as he said we would shoot our own men in front of the Germans. I shouted “They are not British soldiers – they are Germans in British uniforms” and again gave the order to fire. Again he stopped those near him firing. I ordered my own men to open rapid fire, which they did and succeeded in driving back the enemy. Those in British uniforms, who were right up to our entanglement and could have come into trench had they wished, turned and ran back even faster than the rest, which was sufficient proof that they were not British soldiers."

Are there any other mentions of this incident/was it ever corroborated?

Andy.

Ive read several accounts of Germans dressed as British Staff officers either spying on dispositions, or misdirecting reinforcements on their way up from reserves, but not this type of account so far.

I supppose all sides would have tried anything to get an advantage really? If it had worked, itd be a nightmare for the british troops once they got into the trenches ... who do you kill & who do you leave?? Blimey, what a situation to be in. :blink:

Typical unsportif evil Hun - like

Andy

This letter to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle ( May 6th 1915) seems to perpetrate the the information in the Canadian archives.

Unfortunately other letters describe British troops routing the German army, British Artillery being superior to that of the 'Hun' etc.

Kate.

post-4-1099761191.jpg

In the 25th CEF Battalion History in the Soldiers Memory's section there is a story about a 25th man shooting a Captain of the 19th Battalion. The 25th man came accross this man dressed as a canadian officer saying he was from the 19th Battalion. The Officer claimed he had a cracked ankle and asked for help getting to the lines. The officers ankle got better during the walk and told the 25th man he could go and the officer walked off. The 25th man saw him stop by a dead officer and start rumaging throught his belongings. When challanged the officer drew his pistol and he was shot dead. Apparently there was a rule about taking things from your own dead. He reported his action to Major Grant and took him to the spot no one could Id the officer and he was told he did the right thing. He seemed to think he was some sort of spy. It is a interesting story but I do not know if it is ture or not I would like to find some sort of report on this encounter.

Regards

N.S.Regt.