Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps showing location of artillery during battles?

johnboy

Are there any maps online that show the position of artillery before or during battles? There seem to loads of trench maps showing positions and objectives for infantry but it would be good to see for instance, where the barrage was fired from, and what other targets there were.

If you have an interest in a particular artillery brigade, their war diary sometimes gives the trench map coordinates of the different Batteries. But as I have often found to my chagrin, not always!

Roger

I don't have a specific interest. I wanted to get an idea of how far back, targets etc. and how they were positioned in relation to the infantry.

I think that very much depends on the nature of the guns, speed of advance etc etc

I agree.

Due to the need to move guns into position and do ranging etc, an attack would take quite a time to plan. This gave the infantry time to practise an assault. A change of plan during an assault could be made by the infantry but could the artillery make changes as quickly? A map showing trenches and artillery positions would give a better understanding of how the battle plan had been thought through.

The link works ok but even saving it and then enlarging I still don't understand as I can't see any regiments/ battalions shown.

Not you fault Mike.

Perhaps I would be better off looking for schematic drawings showing positions and targets?

Looking at the barrage map link that you gave in another thread I can see where possible guns were positioned but not exactly where they were aiming.

My post Mars Offensive 28th March 1918 shows artillery positions for a defensive battle,

The positions are derived from the War Diaries of the RFA Brigades. Reading the rest of the post will show where the Germans attacked and hence the target areas.

It is just one example but I hope it helps.

Bob

Are there any maps online that show the position of artillery before or during battles? There seem to loads of trench maps showing positions and objectives for infantry but it would be good to see for instance, where the barrage was fired from, and what other targets there were.

Do you mean something along the lines of the map segment illustrated below where the circles represent 18pdr batteries and the triangles represent 4.5in Howitzer batteries ?(other battery types are also shown...60pdr, 4.7in, 9.2in, 12in and 6in howitzers, etc in their various locations too)

Dave

post-357-0-63700100-1422829945_thumb.jpg

That's the sort of thing Dave, but it would be good to know what each guns target was.

...it would be good to know what each guns target was.

That would surely vary dependant upon exact date (and even the particular time of day on a particular date). I very much doubt that you'll find much of this type of detail on any contemporary maps to be honest.

Dave

I have a CD produced by the Western Front Association published in conjunction with the Imperial War Museum entitled

General Haigs maps - 1

It shows the location of artillery in the format that Dave has posted