Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell Identification / Story Authenticity

Ark

• 1 month later...

Ark,

Any updates from Ebay on this? Our friend has just begun listing another batch of 'ANZAC' cartridge cases, again all 'used at Gallipoli', so remains undaunted.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

James

What bothers me is the fact that you used to be able to buy acid, glass etching kits, Halfords used to sell them, they would do exactly the same to that brass as it did to glass and the font looks a bit modern.

And you can see where it was masked off to do the etching...

Funny how on that one the date codes on the base seem to have "worn off" too...

Regards

Ian.

Funny how on that one the date codes on the base seem to have "worn off" too...

I imagine that is because Ark pointed out to this seller that one of the ones he bought was dated 1917, therefore couldn't have been right, so he is now making sure the dates are unreadable!

James

Thought we were not allowed to discuss such topics?

TT

It's an interesting question as to when in UK usage Fuze became the correct spelling for the initiation device in a munition. It's the spelling used in the current NATO glossary, but the OED doesn't seem to have caught up (but I may be using an old edition). It's also spelt with a z in Arty Notes No 2 FA Ammo (Jan 1916) and 'Notes On Gunnery' 1918, (that's a hint to users of this site) and everywhere thereafter I don't have anything earlier to hand), so clearly OED is a tad under-informed.

I've got MikeB on my "to be educated properly" list as well.

Research I did a while back on British ammunition usage circa WWI in response to a Wikipedia flame war (some pedants claimed that a fuze activated ammunition whereas a fuse ignited dynamite sticks) indicated that z was the predominant British spelling, but I found enough s spellings in official and semi-official documents to come to the conclusion that one could not insist that fuze was the "correct/official" spelling for doodads that made shells go bang : both spellings were correct by virtue of common usage by insiders at that time. The important thing was it made the shell go bang.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Many thanks to those that got in contact with me re the shells/Casings/Ammo, personally via email and

on this thread.

Yes they are frauds ! I am happy to report that I have received all my money back

from ebay. It took a lot of time, effort and stress to do this, back and forth from paypal

to ebay back to pay pal then ebay again. I have reported him to the police and gave all the

information I know.

Sadly yes he is still operating again on ebay, hocking the same old story with the same olds etchings

on various items.

I would stay clear of anyone selling items claiming to be from the Paul Raymonds Whitehall Theatre Of War.

The story has more holes in it than Swiss cheese.

Especially.

Sam Millins.

Operating under: 2010samwilliams & also uk-malone

There is also another chap who is selling items claiming to be from the Whitehall Theatre Of War,

which I have just noticed the Whitehall section that was on the site has been newly taken down.

google: The Curios Of Captain Leader

Coincidentally he to is also located in East Sussex near Sam and is selling items reputed to be from the Whitehall Museum.

Item: Air Marshal Sir Arthur Coningham, KCB, KBE, DSO, MC, DFC, AFC, RAF.

This same exact same item was sold on ebay over a year ago by the same chap

who sold me the shells - 2010samwilliams.

If they are linked or not I cannot confirm !

Once again many thanks to all those for taking the time to respond. Lets keep our

eyes peeled !

Best

Ark

Ark,

Any updates from Ebay on this? Our friend has just begun listing another batch of 'ANZAC' cartridge cases, again all 'used at Gallipoli', so remains undaunted.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

James

As far as I was aware, the genuine trench art shells were always done by tightly packing the shell with sand or earth, and punching the design into the brass with a sharp implement. The very fact that they appear etched should immediately arouse suspicions.

It isn't only eBay that sells fraudulent crap. Not so long ago, I e-mailed a dealer who was advertising a fake WW1 bugle priced at £220. Another dealer currently has for sale an SMLE No1 Mk111 at £945. He claims that it is regimentally marked to the 'East Yorkshires.' I sent him an e-mail and informed him that the 'EY' stamps to woodwork and metalwork had an entirely different meaning. The rifle is STILL being offered for sale as a regimentally-marked piece.

• 3 months later...
Guest gvinrad

Gentleman,

I have recently purchased a piece of trench art which is made of a cartridge casing, I purchased it from a chap off his stall at an historic vehicle rally for the sum of four pounds. He told me it was 1st world war & was either French or German, from looking at the posts on this forum I believe it to be French.

It has the following markings on the base of the cartridge, H. 993L. 17 H 75 DE C again from posts already seen am I correct in believing it dates from 1917 ?

Could anyone provide any further information as to who would have made the casing & in particular what the other numbers refer to ? any help would be most appreciated.

Gerry.

DE C , de campagne, - field gun.